Good Brew Day -- thanks to HBT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
I couldn't have done it without HBT!

I just got a new 6 gallon pot for stove top mini-mashing. I was planning on a Smoked Porter mini-mash, but I screwed up the order and got a full extract kit, my bad. Anyway, I wanted to try an max out my partial boil, and with no problem getting to 155* for grain steeping in 2.5 gallons, I decided to add more water, well the stove wasn't going to bring that to a full boil with the new wider pot, so having read about thermal blankets for stove top brewing, I triple folded a towel and clamped it to the pot!

Nice rolling boil followed shortly. The rest of the process went very smoothly, with the exception of spilling some Star San on the kitchen floor! Check that fermentor lid before swishing next time!!!

Next up was chilling the wort! Time to crack open a Hefeweizen, which ain't half bad, and wait for the chill down. Higher volume of wort, lower volume of ice bath = running out for more ice... Got the wort to 78* in 20 minutes and pitched @ 72*.

I'm stoked, OG 1.64 right on target! Blow off tube in place waiting for some action!!!!:ban:

Congrats! I found HBT to be the best, with amazing helpers all free and just happy to give advice to improve your hobby. Pitching at 72 may be a tad high and some say it could cause some off flavors, i aim for under 70 about 65, but should be a great first beer!

Back