Good Bottle Brushes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botanicalbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using a standard bottle brush, but it doesn't take very long for the bristles to become twisted or bent in a way that makes it very hard to clean the bottom of bottles. I am trying to find something possibly made of a different material that will last longer. I found a silicone bottle brush, but do you think that will clean the bottles well?

thanks in advance!

I use ones of different sizes that I bend or leave straight (curved for the sides and a straight one for the bottom). They have like a wooly fabric at the end. That end does all the work and they haven't worn out

I have struggled finding a decent bottle brush that does a good job of getting down into the bottom and the bottom corners. The couple bottle brushes I have gotten from homebrew stores with just bristles do a good job of cleaning the sides and neck. I have one of the "jet washer" type spray cleaners, but I cannot hook it to my kitchen faucet. I am looking for a better option so I can clean the occasional dirty bottle in my kitchen.

Any thoughts on the following options? Some types you like better?

This set looks decent for $12:
https://a.co/d/7QvmAcI
This set looks quite useful. Maybe a bit overkill at $23, but I could likely put some of the other brushes to use.
https://a.co/d/bbigUOX

If you are talking about glass beer bottles, then I use this one from Morebeer.....
https://www.morebeer.com/products/bottle-shaped-beer-cleaning-brush.html
However it's more appropriate for a something like a wine bottle that holds more.

Two of the brushes in this set look like good possibilities since they have bristles pointed down. But how long or whether they are even the correct size for a beer bottle, I don't know. But I've been eyeing them. And for the price I don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger.
https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Clean...prefix=beer+bottle+brush+set,garden,95&sr=1-6
With the brush I have from Morebeer and maybe even with these brushes, I grab the lower bristles into a bunch and make sure the ends of them go in first. Otherwise they are longer than the radius of the inside of the bottle. And if they are bent back as you insert the brush, they don't straighten out to point towards the bottom and corner of the bottle where you want them to.

Hmmm.... older thread. OP or any other of the original respondent's found better in the last almost 1½ years?

If you are talking about glass beer bottles, then I use this one from Morebeer.....
That looks interesting. It has some extra bristles that point down, vs the ones I have where the bristles on the end tend to point more to the side and don't tend to stay pointing down after you slide them through the bottle opening.

Two of the brushes in this set look like good possibilities since they have bristles pointed down.
I also have a bottle brush that I got from the grocery store that has a little sponge on the end. The issue I found was that the plastic handle was too wide to fit into a beer bottle opening, so it would not reach the bottom of a bottle. The ones in that set look a little longer and the end of the handle might be a little thinner.

I use the morebeer brushes and I just snip the top hanging ring off and chuck them in a cordless drill. They last almost indefinitely this way too, somehow.

I see that this is your first post , Welcome . :bigmug:
I don't have a brush recommendation for you ... I've never used one . I've found if I rinse the bottle with tap water after use they never need scrubbing . When I had to scrounge for bottles initially soaking in hot water with oxi clean 2 scoops per 5 gal. gets labels off like a champ and several days soaking in a mild bleach water solution got the grunge out fine . Any bottles that needed more than that I throw away.
Most important is the quick rinse after use so you never get moldy shite in there to start with.

I see that this is your first post , Welcome . :bigmug:
I guess I resurrected a post from somebody that joined Jan 4, 2022, posted on Jan 4, 2022, and was last seen on Jan 4, 2022. :oops: I figured it was better than staring a new thread on a topic that has a few thread already.

I occasionally run into a bottle that could use a little extra cleaning and I don't want to mess with a soak in cleaning solution when 15 seconds with a bottle brush would do the trick. I just get frustrated with the homebrew store bottle brushes that I have.

🤪 That's awesome ... didn't notice the zombie thread . Ok so you ain't a newbee so I got nothing for you . Hell I basically modelled my small batch mash in a bag in a cooler brewing from watching a few of your you tube vids .. Thank's :thumbsup:... but I still say if it's got crud in the bottom that won't float out after a soak in bleach... toss it.

I occasionally run into a bottle that could use a little extra cleaning and I don't want to mess with a soak in cleaning solution when 15 seconds with a bottle brush would do the trick.
That's funny because I never want to mess with scrubbing bottles when dropping them in oxi for a week or whatever until I remember about them will do the trick.

Back