good bench capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
I have one of the generic hand held wing cappers to cap my bottles. I hate the thing, I always feel like I'm going to pop the top right off the bottles.
I looked online at the bench cappers, but many of the reviews of many of them are iffy.
Anyone have a good one that doesn't cost a fortune that they have been using?

Also interested in peoples reviews... I'm torn between bucking up for a good bench capper and building a pneumatic bench capper... Someone convince me!

I've used one of these jammy's for years:

http://labelpeelers.com/equipment/cappers/super-agata-italian-bench-capper/

Worked perfectly the entire time. I've seen some negative reviews of it but I think it might be mostly user error IMO. Firstly, people talk about the plastic "hold in place" notch thingy breaking. I can imagine it will if people are "Hulking" the thing and using too much downward capping pressure. When I started I tried to make sure I didn't overdo it and still saw I was applying too much pressure as I'd leave an indent of the magnetic centerpiece in the middle of the cap. There was a small depression you don't find on commercial bottles. So, I lightened up a bit so that there is no indentation and as a result I've never had it fail and have never once in over 3 years had a leaky or non-tight sealing cap.

I'm kegging now, but I still have my Super Agata bench capper in case I ever need to do some bottling.

Rev.

I've used one of these jammy's for years:

http://labelpeelers.com/equipment/cappers/super-agata-italian-bench-capper/

Worked perfectly the entire time. I've seen some negative reviews of it but I think it might be mostly user error IMO. Firstly, people talk about the plastic "hold in place" notch thingy breaking. I can imagine it will if people are "Hulking" the thing and using too much downward capping pressure. When I started I tried to make sure I didn't overdo it and still saw I was applying too much pressure as I'd leave an indent of the magnetic centerpiece in the middle of the cap. There was a small depression you don't find on commercial bottles. So, I lightened up a bit so that there is no indentation and as a result I've never had it fail and have never once in over 3 years had a leaky or non-tight sealing cap.

I'm kegging now, but I still have my Super Agata bench capper in case I ever need to do some bottling.

Rev.

I've been using a Super Agata for several years too. Same thing. Some of the parts seem like just cheap plastic, but I've treated mine like a baby and it's held up just fine. As I get older....I think everything from cars to furniture is cheap and flimsy, so I've learned to expect it. Having said that, I love the fact it auto-adjusts for any size bottle and hasn't ever let me down. For the price it beats a wing capper any day. :mug:

I'll second the second on the Super Agata. I've had mine for nearly 5 years without any trouble. It has capped it's fair share of twisties, too. The only bottles I've found that I will not recap are the 16oz sprecher soda bottles. I'm not sure if they use the same bottles for beer, but those things are ridiculous.

Back