Good beers from Dead Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
So recently I went river tubing with some friends of mine and got absolutely sloshed. On the way back we decided we needed fried chicken and stumbled across a Roy Rogers (which was a rare sighting anyway). Connected to the parking lot was a liquor store that looked like it had been there since dirt was clean. I wandered to the back where the beer was and looked up in the rafters, and oddly enough, they had a small supply of craft beer. I wasn't thinking clearly, so I just picked the four pack with the highest abv and the most dust I could find.

Low and behold, it was a 6.5% Altbier from Heavyweight Brewing which sadly closed in 2006!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/393/4198

I finally chilled one down and cracked it open. Minimal to no head, but really nice candied fruit, dark sugar, and malt coming through.

It made me sad that the brewery wasn't around anymore - but it got me wondering what beers other people have found out there from dead breweries.

Back