Gonna try my first (I?)IPA in a few weeks 2 questions (1 for grains 1 for yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I have been reading in a lot of recipes that you are supposed to "rinse" the grains after you are done steeping them with 2 cups of boiling water. Would a sufficient way of doing this be to put the grain bag into a strainer and pour the 2 cups of water over that bag so all the water drains into the pot? If not, what is the proper way of doing this step.

I have seen a lot on the internet that when brewing high gravity beer it may be necessary to pitch the yeast in 2 parts or make a yeast starter. If I have a beer coming out of the primary could I just pour a high gravity wort onto the yeast cake in the bottom and have that be sufficient as there is already a very large amount of yeast that is ready to go active in there?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been providing me :)

mkade

Reaction score
As far as the rinsing goes, that will work. I might suggest more like 170 or 180 degrees, though instead of boiling. As far as the yeast goes, you definitely should pitch more than a vial for most beers, especially bigger beers. Use Jamil's pitching rate calculator: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

SeamusMac

Reaction score
I use Mr. Malty's pitching rate calculator for all my brews now. I never had a problem just pitching the yeast (both dry and liquid) straight into my wort, but I believe that there are benefits to having a large number of healthy and active yeast ready to do battle.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reading in a lot of recipes that you are supposed to "rinse" the grains after you are done steeping them with 2 cups of boiling water. Would a sufficient way of doing this be to put the grain bag into a strainer and pour the 2 cups of water over that bag so all the water drains into the pot? If not, what is the proper way of doing this step.

I have seen a lot on the internet that when brewing high gravity beer it may be necessary to pitch the yeast in 2 parts or make a yeast starter. If I have a beer coming out of the primary could I just pour a high gravity wort onto the yeast cake in the bottom and have that be sufficient as there is already a very large amount of yeast that is ready to go active in there?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been providing me :)
Yeast cake for a IIPA is a *great* idea... I racked a 1.068 IPA onto an S-04 cake from a blonde ale and it blew through the fermentation in 2 1/2 days at 66*F. No worries about a stuck fermentation or too high of a FG that way!

OP
Dark_Knight7096
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys :)
Figured my reasoning was sound but i'd rather measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

Sorry i didn't respond earlier, I've been sick the past few days