Gonna brew my first batch tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinBrewer

Reaction score
Just got a bare bones kit.

All is washed and sanitizing.

After my Bass Club meeting, I'll start brewing.

Cooper's Lager DME
1lb corn sugar
1lb light pilsen malt (subbing for a lb of the sugar :cool:")

I only have an 11qt pot. SOOO I'm going to boil in 2gal of water and put 3 gal of cold water in the fermentor.

We'll see how it works out :mug:

Cooper's Lager DME
1lb corn sugar

I only have an 11qt pot. SOOO I'm going to boil in 2gal of water and put 3 gal of cold water in the fermentor.

Two gallons of water plus ingredients sounds like it may be a bit much in a 11 qt. pot. I would be worried of having a boil over. Maybe do a 1.5 gal boil?

Its a kit. Can of Cooper's Malt syrup, and instead of using 2lbs of corn sugar, I'm using 1lb sugar, 1lb malt extract.

Cooper's Lager DME
1lb corn sugar

Here's something to chew on and if ya don't like it, then spit it out.

Rather than adding cold water straight into the fermenter, boil it and then chill before adding. Cuts out the chance of mystery water.

Also, I wanna say welcome to the brewing world! It's so much fun. Plus, you chose the best site to post and read. These guys are all awesome and handy.
:mug:

First off welcome to the boards and the obession. Now once you've done your first brew get ready to say goodbye to any extra funds you may think you have. :D

If you go with 8 quart's, keep an eye on it with your hand at the ready to turn down the heat. Turning it down will 'cause the boil / foam to quickly subside. Or, a spray bottle with bottled water in it. Spraying / misting water on the foam will help you keep it down till you get past this part.

Enjoy yourself, don't worry about making mistakes, and have a great time brewing your first beer! :mug: Be sure and post back to let us know how it went.

The instructions from the Homebrew shop I got it form said to boil 1 gallon of water. I bought a bigger pot and used 2 gallons.

start to finish it only took an hour and a half.

after it started boiling, hot break occured in only about 3 minutes, to prevent boilover I just picked up the pot when it got close.

Cooled to 85* in about 10-15 minutes in an ice bath in the sink.

racked to my fermenter that had 2 gallons distilled water, then poured the last gallon of distilled water in "violently" to aerate it. Pitched my hydrated yeast then stirred vigorously with my SS slotted spoon for about 3 minutes. Put the lid on, airlock w/ Wodka and into the dark unused 2nd bathroom (about 75* not ideal but I have to pay the electric bill too).

IG: 1.036? (there was foam in the bucket) initially I thought it was 1.040 but let it settle.

We'll see how it turns out.

It'll turn out alright. Bathroom eh? I can hear it now...

"Who's letting off those big ones?"

"Oh, that's just my fermenter....I'll be gassy all week"

yeah yeah yeah bathtub brew. SWMBO allowed me to put my fermentor there so as to not take up her majesty's space. BTW we're expecting. 11 weeks along.

sounds like you're off to a great start; i can't wait to get started again... been spending the last month or so sourcing equipment... almost ready to go... keep up updated with how it goes

if the temp is high in the room u might be able to lower the fermenter temps by filling up the bathtub with cold water and some ice

Sweet, good job. What was the wort temp. after adding the 3 gallons of water? Did you get a OG reading before pitching the yeast? Also, you may want to check into the swamp cooler thing. Works great and it's cheap! :mug:

swamp cooler????

Yes, swamp cooler. Just get yourself a plastic tub and add some water. Put your carboy or pail in there and add frozen water bottles. Also, put a tee shirt over the carboy and into the water. It will pull water up into the shirt and help keep it cool. You can also add a fan. It works very well and it's cheap.

The first few days of fermentation are most important. You want to keep your temps right.

gotcha. May just plug the drain to the shower and put ice/water in there. there's about a 4" lip that will allow some retention. I went ahead and turned the thermostat down to 72. Thats the most my wallet will allow. Its hot in Dallas LOL

gotcha. May just plug the drain to the shower and put ice/water in there. there's about a 4" lip that will allow some retention. I went ahead and turned the thermostat down to 72. Thats the most my wallet will allow. Its hot in Dallas LOL

I don't know if 4 inches will be enough. You could get a plastic tub for about $5.00. You just refreeze the plastic bottles once they have defrosted. That would be cheaper than turning your thermostat down.

I don't know if 4 inches will be enough. You could get a plastic tub for about $5.00. You just refreeze the plastic bottles once they have defrosted. That would be cheaper than turning your thermostat down.

Agreed, besides, shower pans aren't designed to hold water, they are designed to temporarily restrain the water and direct the flow to the drain. Especially if it is a tile shower, I wouldn't plug it up. You may just end up with expensive water damage.

Back