Gonna be in Texas drilling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
I'm chaning jobs in the summer and I'm gonna be in Houston for about 2 months doing a drilling training course. Just wondering if any of the fine members of the forum can recommend any great pubs to sample great beers or any events that would be worth attending.

Also, if any of you guys have done any of the drilling courses anyone got any advice on the schedule and pace? Is it reasonable to expect to have some free time to go grab a beer?

Any other advice for the visiting McTourist?

I think there's a gingerman down there. That's a good place for good beer. I'm sure locals can fill you in on other good places. If you want to do some brewery tours on the weekends there's a few breweries in the Houston area but lots in Austin if you want to make the drive. I think Houston and Austin are only a few hours apart. Lots of places to drink in Austin, too.

Where are you taking the course? What part of Town?

It takes me about 3.5 hours to get to Austin so it isnt a bad drive and there are a lot to do in Austin.

There are a lot of places in the Heights area and lots of breweries to tour if you got the time. There are a few flying saucers, Hay merchant, hans bier haus, and many other good ones. Close to downtown not too many north of town where i'm at but drive down every so often to get my beer fix.

Breweries: Buffalo Bayou (new), Saint Aronld, Karbach, No label, Southern Star

Coworker's son and an ex-coworker are Drillers. From the way they have described the work and schedules, all I can say is:

Good luck finding time to brew and finding new brew-pubs.

While some of the work isn't busy, you have to be on site. So therefor, Good Luck.

Fortunately I'll be doing the training course which is by all accounts less stressful than the actual drilling. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Good to know that there are plenty of places to get some decent beer out there though. Really looking forward to hopefully seeing them.

Only concern right now is that my soulless ginger body might not be able to tolerate the temperature and humidity lol.

Where's the training at or who's it through? If you're gonna be a Company Man, put those Smith Bits to good use! :D

Where's the training at or who's it through? If you're gonna be a Company Man, put those Smith Bits to good use! :D

Not a company man, going to be a drilling fluids engineer so technically it's the mud I'll be interested in. I don't want to sound out who it is I'll be working for in case they take offence, but I'm pretty certain Smith Bits will feature prominently in my future regardless *hint* *hint* :D

:) Gotcha. Just an FYI, if you're somewhere around Rankin Rd., there's really not much up that way. If you're in Sugar Land, the choices may be better.

Any chance you are working for schlumberger? Their NA offices are located in Houston and my brother was there before he started his wirelining job in Bakersfield.

Flying Saucer downtown and the Hay Market are both AWESOME places for craft beer.

as far as breweries go you can visit Saint Arnold in Houston, No label out in Katy, Southern Star in Conroe...there are a few more I can't think of right now as well.

Cheers guys. Flying Saucer and Hay Market both look good. Hopefully be able to get some time to see the sites. Also heard the NASA ain't to far away.

Heh. Spoke to a guy today about it and he had this sage advice:

Oldboy: "You do know that if anything goes wrong, you're going to get the blame?'
Me: "What? Why?"
Oldboy: "Only two things go into a well; steel and mud. And it's pretty hard to f*&k up steel."

Don't forget Matrix, Polycrystalline diamond compacts, and Tungsten Carbide inserts.... and it is easy to buckle steel when pushing 80,000 lb on a 5 inch tube...

When are you coming to Houston?

Cheers guys. Flying Saucer and Hay Market both look good. Hopefully be able to get some time to see the sites. Also heard the NASA ain't to far away.

Oh yeah, Clear Lake (where NASA is) is really not too far out of Houston. Just get on 45 and go south. If you're a member of the American Homebrewer's Association, you can show your card at The Flying Saucer for a discount, btw.

Back