Golfers: what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
OK. So I just finished up my best round ever played. The problem is that darkness ended the round early. I am even par after 16 holes. The choices are leave it be and have a 16 hole round as my best to date or finish up tomorrow and risk finishing over par. Now that wouldn't be a disater vecause I've never touched anything close to a par round (+6). Thing is how legit is an even par round ( potentialy) split in two days? PGA tournies do it all the tome. But Igolfer rarely follow PGA tourney rules. I kind of hate the idea that my best round ever is a 16 holer. Put youself in my shoes. What would you do. Btw. I don't golf for bragging rights. This is merely a personal thing. But i just don't know what to do

thanks!

To be clear if I double both holes I would still be plus four. I didn't have a double today. But. I do agree that golf is 18 holes

I love golf, wish I could make more time for it, but I suck at it. (I'm thrilled when I'm in the low 90's!) Congrats on the good round.

18 holes. Finish up your game. Don't screw it up.

I wouldn't personally go out just to play 2 holes, so I'd only finish the round if I had time to play 18 more:D It's still an accomplishment to carry par for 16 holes, but yes, you'll never be able to say you parred the course if you don't finish. I'm also assuming when you said you were shooting par, you didn't mean the 18 hole par like some of the above posts imply. I assumed you meant after 16, you were at par for those 16.

Even par after 16 is a great day, imho - congrats!

Last round of golf, I used my 3 iron to tee off on every par 4+ hole - I'm tired of not having my ball in front of me :)

Even par after 16 is a great day, imho - congrats!

Last round of golf, I used my 3 iron to tee off on every par 4+ hole - I'm tired of not having my ball in front of me :)

Back when I was good that's all I used for a driver. I hit it so many times, I actually snapped the head off on a tee shot.

As previously stated, finish the round. Then, play another 18. It would be too hard for me to leave the course after making the time to get there, pay, load cart, warm up, purchase beverages, drive all the way back over to #17 tee, play 2 holes, then leave. My golf outings are usually planned @ least a week in advance. You know your golfin' buddies aren't gonna except the par score as legit unless it's a full 18. Best of luck!

i don't even have a 3-iron. new sets typically don't include them unless you specifically ask (and give up a club). my set came 4-PW + AW

my 4 iron is typically my worst club but the other day I was hitting it well.

anyway go finish your round. even thru 16 is awesome

I wish I could give advice, but I have never been in that position, and I suspect I never will be. When I go out I shoot for double bogie and so far have never got it.

Golf is kind of fun, but I actually enjoy hunting for balls more than anything. Some day I swear I'm going to drag my scuba gear to the golf course and empty the ponds of all their booty!

Back when I was good that's all I used for a driver. I hit it so many times, I actually snapped the head off on a tee shot.

The little bit of extra distance I *might* get with a driver or 3W is negated by not having any idea where the ball is going. I'm better off hitting it straight, keep it in front of me, go for the two-putt, and on to the next hole.

i don't even have a 3-iron. new sets typically don't include them unless you specifically ask (and give up a club). my set came 4-PW + AW

my 4 iron is typically my worst club but the other day I was hitting it well.

anyway go finish your round. even thru 16 is awesome

Ha, me neither. That's why I said "when I was good". We're talking 15 years ago.

with hybrids, even a 4-iron is useless.

i wish I had a hybrid. i had a 5-wood that I like. no 3wood. my driver is usually fine off the tee unless i really try to go hard at it, then it's slice-city.

As Kramer would say,

"A rule is a rule. And let's face it. Without rules there's chaos"

If you have a handicap this is the official rules from the USGA. You can't delay a round from one day to the next. You must use your handicap to estimate what you "would" have shot. So if you had only 2 holes to play and you were even par I'd say two under :) . Now you'll know the importance of the Bishop in Caddyshack finishing his best round of his liiiiiife. Don't worry I had a chance of shooting a 69 standing on the 18th tee par5. All I needed was a birdie. I got a bogey for a 71. Congrats on a good round and keep heading out there to get better:

http://www.golfsoftware.info/knowledgemanager/questions.php?questionid=54

PS - I hope you saved and signed the ball for memories.

As Kramer would say,

"A rule is a rule. And let's face it. Without rules there's chaos"

If you have a handicap this is the official rules from the USGA. You can't delay a round from one day to the next. You must use your handicap to estimate what you "would" have shot. So if you had only 2 holes to play and you were even par I'd say two under :) . Now you'll know the importance of the Bishop in Caddyshack finishing his best round of his liiiiiife. Don't worry I had a chance of shooting a 69 standing on the 18th tee par5. All I needed was a birdie. I got a bogey for a 71. Congrats on a good round and keep heading out there to get better:

http://www.golfsoftware.info/knowledgemanager/questions.php?questionid=54

PS - I hope you saved and signed the ball for memories.

Cool man, thanks for that information. I called the course and those jerks would not let me play the two holes. I offered to pay them MORE than their pro-rata charge per hole. I also asked if I paid for a round if I could just start at the 17th hole ...they said no to that too. I wont be going back there anytime soon. Plus, I own that course anyway :D

its a 27 hole course. Par 31s on all the seperate nines. Tons of par threes ...

http://www.charbonneaugolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=638&page=34709

with a handicap of 12...I guess I finish up with a score of 63 +1.2

pretty crappy. did you tell them what you were shooting?

i mean, if it's a tuesday afternoon when nobody's on, who cares....

What would you do? Go back to the 17th hole and play 2 holes? Do gold courses even allow that kind of thing?

edit: sorry, I see this question has already been asked. I'd say fvckem and go out early in the morning and just shoot your 2 holes. Then go to the clubhouse and buy another round of beers and golf.

A lot of people hate golf because some people are anal about the rules. If you're shooting that good of scores pick up a usga rule book (its even online free). The rules arent' that difficult except odd questions like you had. If you're shooting those good of scores there's a saying for using the rules to your advantage. You might be depriving yourself of an advantage and better scores. I think the chapters on dropping and hazards could help you out. I was guessing you'd be around a 11-13. I'm guessing the course is probably harder than what a handicap is based on. You might be able to officially say even par :) Look on the scorecard and being a 12 if the last two holes handicap are over 12(and I'd throw an extra stroke for course toughness so 11) you could legitamately say even par. But hey having fun shooting a low score s what makes you come back. It's always fun trying to beat your lowest score. Congrats on the grea score.

Finish it. Otherwise your win will have an *.

*Did not finish.

Astericks are great for trash talking amongst friends. It's the DQ you wanna stay away from. His score is legit under the rules of golf. The problem is it has a footnote. If I was his friend and he started laying into talk about a great score you could deflate him with it has an asterick :) You don't know how many late night arguments I've had in these. All in good fun.

It will always be an asterisk for you, HD. Too late to do anything about it now...

Except celebrate the fact that you were even after 16!

Hell, I celebrate if I'm even after 2! (it could happen)

Back