Weissbier Golden Path Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwjester

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs WLP300
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14
Since this is an extract recipe, you have to be very careful not to scorch the sugars to the bottom of the boil pot. I recommend a late extract addition for most of the fermentables. Also, I used distilled water from the grocery store. I wanted to have as clear a base as possible and then cloud it up with the yeast.

Steeped grains:
.5# flaked oats (this is completely optional, only add it if you want extra haze in the beer) - steep at 160 for 30 min

Fermentables:
3# extra light DME
5# wheat LME (add with 15 min left in boil)

Hops:
.8 oz Hallertau @ 60min

1 vial White Labs WLP300 yeast. Pitch at around 70F.

Fermentation:
Cool the wort to 62-64F. The fermentation itself is going to try to bring the temperature up to around 66F. That is OK. This is going to be a very active fermentation, so keep an eye on the bucket if you are using an airlock. It would be better to use a blow off tube. The low fermentation temperature should keep you out of trouble, but there is always a chance that fermentation could blow the lid off the bucket.
After 10 days or so (or when the specific gravity remains the same for a couple of days), rack the beer to bottles or keg. There is no reason to use a secondary to "condition" a hefeweizen. You want the haze. Bottle conditioning is going to take the normal 3 weeks. You will have a lot of yeast in suspension with this style, so be attentive to the bottles. There is a slight increase in the chance for bottle bombs. If you are kegging, put it on CO2 at around 20psi for a couple of days, and then step the pressure back to around 14psi. This style is usually a little more carbonated than other styles.
The flavor and aroma of this beer definitely tend towards bananas. The yeast will produce some banana like esters and some clove like esters. At the low fermentation temperatures we are using here, you get more banana. Combine that with the fact that we aren't using a starter, and the yeast pretty much dominates the flavor. The lower temperatures also keep the beer a little on the sweet side. If you want to cut the sugars a little, bring the fermentation temperature up to 68 or 69F.

Cheers,

I am giving this a try this weekend, but I am dropping the wheat LME down to 3.3lb to better stick in the style.

FTOQ85M.jpg

Back