Golden naked oats in lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjalderman

Reaction score
I have some extra golden naked oats left over from my brett trois IPA that I was thinking about adding into the grain bill for a lambic. I'm opting out of using raw wheat/turbid mash and going with flaked wheat and a shorter mash schedule. My thinking is that the oats will will provide some more complex sugars along with the wheat for the bugs to eat. Has anyone added oats to a lambic before/is it advisable?

Can't see why that would be a problem. May not be a true lambic but then again without spontaneous fermentation in Belgium it won't technically be one anyway. Mad Fermentationist used oats in his Cable Car Clone and seemed to get pretty positive results.

Yea I don't see why not, like SoilWorker said it's not traditional but who really cares. Deepening on how much you use I always get some berry notes from NGO. Could go well with a fruit Lambic.

Only way to know is try.

I used Flaked Oats in a Lambic I brewed a few months ago, time will tell.

Yeah I'm not one to follow a style's guidelines to a T anyway haha. They're only going to comprise 9% of the grain bill for a kriek so I'm not sure if it will or won't provide a noticeable difference in the final beer. Thanks for the input guys

The proteins from the oats will keep the beer from feeling watery. I have used flaked out in a golden sour before with great results.

Back