Gold Coffee Filter When Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
Lately, I've been experimenting with some fruit beers - and as such, there has been some "chunky" sediment going into my kegs, which in turn has been clogging things up. Bits of cherry skin... raisins... etc. Even bits of oak cubes & vanilla beans from secondary.

Has anyone here experimented with using one of the gold oval-shaped coffee filters when kegging, in order to get rid of sediment?

I was thinking perhaps of something like this:

411FJQ559AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Cuisinart GTF Gold Tone Filter: Kitchen & Dining

I was thinking that because of the shape, they'd fit nicely into a corny during the filling process.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read an article (Review: The Cask Widge | TechCrunch) a while ago about a product called a Cask Widge that is supposed to be pretty effective at preventing clogs and reducing the need to filter going into the keg. I contacted them company and they sell just the "float" piece (vs. the whole cask setup), so that's an option I guess.

Just thinking about how I like to put my siphon hose at the bottom of the keg to prevent oxigenating the beer, woulding using a filter like this at the top of the keg create a lot of oxygen in your brew? I know when I rack to primary I use a filter and gravity to help oxygenate the wort as it splashes down. Seems to me this is somthing you would want to avoid when kegging.

I may be way off and if so I will gladly give this a shot, looks like a good idea if I'm wrong.

Just thinking about how I like to put my siphon hose at the bottom of the keg to prevent oxigenating the beer, woulding using a filter like this at the top of the keg create a lot of oxygen in your brew? I know when I rack to primary I use a filter and gravity to help oxygenate the wort as it splashes down. Seems to me this is somthing you would want to avoid when kegging.

I may be way off and if so I will gladly give this a shot, looks like a good idea if I'm wrong.

That's the only thing I'd be worried about as well - oxidizing the beer while filling the keg.

At the same time, I typically force-carb, so I'd be purging out the oxygen pretty quickly.

At the same time, I typically force-carb, so I'd be purging out the oxygen pretty quickly.

True, I also don't know if the damage is done immediatly or if it takes some time. Might be a good question for the science forum lol.

Except that it's open on the top and things can float into it. Wouldn't the Stainless Steel scruby technique work just as good. Then you could wrap that around the racking cane.
Scrubbers-Stainless.jpg

Back