going to the brew shop after work, this sound good??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
OG 1.094
IBU 90

12LB - 2Row
3LB - Rye
1LB - Crystal 60L
1LB - Crystal 120L
1LB - Carapils

FWH - 2oz Amarillo
60 - 1oz zeus
50 - .5oz citra
30 - .5oz centennial
30 - .5 hallertauer
15 - 1oz amarillo
5 - 1oz mt hood (or another C variety)

Yeast - most likely notty in a starter

how does the hop schedule sound?

What's your reasoning behind each of your hop additions? They seem random to me.

I would move the Centennials back and the citra back to maybe 10 min as you wont get much from it at 50 other than bitterness and just use the whole oz unless you want to save it for another brew. You are kind of all over the place with the hops, you have noble hops and american "C" hops together. What are you going for? I would think you would lose the delicate flavors of the hallertauer with everything else. That also seems like too much crystal malt. I'm guessing this is a IIPA. I don't know what your going for, so this is just my 1st impression.

Big beer! Of course it'll make a beer and it might be really tasty, but I'd do a few things differently.

-I think it is too much crystal. I would use just one pound total in a beer that big, maybe none at all. The bigger the beer, the less crystal you should use.

-FWH seems to be unnecessary, so I've found. Consider replacing the hallertau addition with the ammarillo. Consider adding more Zeus (Columbus, CTZ, etc.) to make up for the lost IBU's. Also the Citra is used too early, try adding it in the last 15 minutes since you are really wasting its aroma properties. Mt Hood sounds interesting and maybe consider increasing the addition.

-Notty in a starter is a bad idea. Just rehydrate it. If you go to the trouble of making a starter, consider a superior, IMO, liquid strain.

I would, and Citra is usually added later in the boil. If I were you I'd choose one for bittering, and then 2 varieties for flavor and aroma, such as the citra and Amarillo. Plug it in beersmith or whatever you use and adjust until you get back to 90 ibu's. I usually add bittering hops at 60 minutes, and start my later hop additions around 20-25 minutes.

wow, fast replies! :D

i'm mostly trying to use up my hop stock in the freezer 'cuz it is about 6-7 months old at this point.

thanks for the suggestions! changing it as we speak

I like how your ingredients are all in even numbered amounts...which is what I usually do.

Too much Crystal though and some hop tweaking may be in order.

This was my last 6 gal IIPA which is getting close to being bottled:

10 lbs 2 row
8 lbs M.O.
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Munich
Centennial 2oz x 60
Columbus 2oz x 60
Centennial 1oz x 30
Columbus 1oz x 30
Amarillio 1oz dry hop
Cascade 1 oz dry hop
Simcoe 1oz dry hop

If this is a "use up all the hops" beer then I can understand the unusual varieties. Drop the FWH and bitter with Amarillo and add the zeus at 20. I would go citra and centennial at 5 min b/c they have great aroma quantities. Maybe do a dry hop with whatever ammarillo is left after you get your 90 IBUs. I would certainly reduce the crystal malt and mash low. I would save the hallertauer and Mt. Hood for another brew a nice cream ale or something to showcase these hops.

well, since i have small amounts of random stuff, i'll prolly just pick up more hops :)

60 - 2oz simcoe
30 - 1oz amarillo
30 - 1oz mt hood
15 - 1oz amarillo
5 - 2oz mt hood
dry- not sure yet

Simcoe is pretty expensive right now to use as a bittering hop. You could get some Warrior, it's dirt cheap.

over here all the hop prices are the same, no matter which kinda hop you get. pretty much 2 bucks an ounce. unless you get pound bags, then it dives the price down a bit. (www.fhsteinbart.com) prolly 'cuz alot of them are grown around the NW which helps a bit i'm sure!

Back