Going to take the plunge into conicals... Question though...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
So, I'm going to purchase two 12 gallon plus conicals and have a couple of questions...

Before I ask, let me specify what kinds of beer I want to be able to brew and what environment I live in. I'd very much like to be able to brew both ales and lagers all year round. I've never really had that much control over fermentation temperature, and that's something I'm wanting to change (I've been listening to a lot of the Jamil Show/Brew strong and realize what stressed yeast produce now....) At the same time I've never brewed lagers because of the temp requirements, but that's about to change too (cold winters....) Basically I try to find the place in my house where the temp is consistently closest to the place the particular strain of yeast like and let it hang out there. I live in Nebraska. Warm humid summers mean I put my ales in the basement (which usually have an ambient temp of 68 degrees F or so for some reason... upstairs is like 76 degrees...) Winters here can be mild (20 degrees F) to bitterly cold (0 degrees F).

I'm setting up my brewhouse in my garage for the winter, which does get cold, though not as cold as the outside (down in the 15 degree range when it is bitterly cold).

So I'm thinking conicals now... I can't put them in the house because we don't have room and my wife would kill me. I'm looking at the MoreBeer line of conicals because their conicals use actual welds vs. weldess fittings. I also notice that they have conicals that adjust for temperature, both hot and cold.

So here is my question... With the weather situation I have to deal with, does anyone have any experience with these conicals? Also, is there a way of maintaining a particular temperature in such a device duing a bitterly cold day?

I guess I'm just looking for other people's experience on this one.. Those things are pretty pricey. I'm trying to look before I leap here.

Thanks again, and :mug:

You need to build a separate room off (or in) your garage with heat and ac. A fermentation room if you will.

You need to build a separate room off (or in) your garage with heat and ac. A fermentation room if you will.

By that you mean that the temperature controls the super cool temperature controlled conicals that morebeer sells won't overcome the crazy variety in temperature that Nebraska has?

By that you mean that the temperature controls the super cool temperature controlled conicals that morebeer sells won't overcome the crazy variety in temperature that Nebraska has?

No, I'm saying that it's much more convenient to have a temp controlled fermentation room. You can put conicals, carboys, cases of beer, kegs etc in one and if you insulate it well it's probably cheaper on the electric bill.
Plus it's really cool. And If I remember right those temp controls for conicals are rather pricey. (looking at their website, it looks like ~$1000 more per conical for the temp controlled ones. I guarantee you can do a room for that, and then put as many conicals that you can fit.)

Ahh I see... (good point too...)

I guess I was thinking I'd rather fork out some extra cash than have a construction project, but you are probably right.

Ahh I see... (good point too...)

I guess I was thinking I'd rather fork out some extra cash than have a construction project, but you are probably right.

Look at the cost difference. I think that alone would sway me.

Thanks for the advice - Some lumber, insulation, and drywall are much cheaper. I'll go with the normal conical.

For follow up... In an environment where I can control ambient temperatures, would it not be beneficial to be able to change the fermenting temp at will (especially for lagers)? I'm unaware of the techniques that others might use to control temperatures (other than a johnson controls unit and a freezer...)

Wouldn't a Johnson controller and a bunch of $10 heating pads from WalMart do the trick? The Johnson's can handle something around 10 amps, right? If so, that is plenty of heating power when put right up against the conical.

Wouldn't a Johnson controller and a bunch of $10 heating pads from WalMart do the trick? The Johnson's can handle something around 10 amps, right? If so, that is plenty of heating power when put right up against the conical.

That is what I would do if I had cold enough temperatures. Just wrap a heater or two around the conical and put it on a controller when the ambient temperature is low enough.

Since I don't have temperatures cold enough (Bakersfield, CA) I am planning to put my conical in an upright freezer. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-fermentation-cabinets-66926/index3.html)

On another note, I was on the fence about going with welded vs. weld-less fittings. I just bought a Blichman fermenter and I'm happy with the weld-less fittings. If you decide to go with welded fittings just make sure the welds are done right so you can get them thoroughly cleaned.

If you do go weldless, keep in mind that you need to completely disassemble the fittings each and every time you brew. Don't get lazy or you'll regret it eventually.

That is why I went back to carboys/better bottles.

Great ideas. The heating blankets will do nicely I think!

I think I'm settled on the conicals from morebeer.com. I have a few pieces of my brewery using weldless fittings, but I'm just not comfortable with weldless fittings for a fermenting vessel.

If you do go weldless, keep in mind that you need to completely disassemble the fittings each and every time you brew. Don't get lazy or you'll regret it eventually.

That is why I went back to carboys/better bottles.

By the way, if this is the Jamil from Brew Strong/The Jamil Show, I actually started thinking conicals after listening to the fermentor episode of Brew Strong. I heard you talking about boiling the fittings etc and that does sound like a lot of work. Thanks for your excellent programming too.

The Blichmann fermenters can also be pressurized making a transfer of the beer to a keg or bottling bucket much, much easier. There is no need to lift the fermenter.

A small chamber constructed in the garage with a 5kBTU AC and small electric space heater is probably the most versatile for ale/lager, summer or winter. You'd need a dual stage Ranco or similar. The only downside is that both conicals would be conditioned to the same temp. So, you wouldn't be able to simultaneously ferment an ale and lager. The benefit to the dual stage is that it doesn't matter what season it is or what the temp swings are, you set your temp and walk away.

Back