Going to Munich! Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
The wife and I are heading to Munich for a week in November. I’m going to hit the big name breweries, but does anyone have recommendations for smaller or more out of the way places? Non beer related stuff would be great too. Thanks!

Go to Marienplatz! Great places to grab some good food and beer. Haufbrau House is just around the corner.

Make sure you time it to see the glockenspiel. It’s a pretty neat thing to see.

I thought this was going to be about different types of Munich malt. Anyway, have a good time & enjoy some beer.

and here i thought he was going to start malting his own, and had an oven that only went down to 170f, actually 200f....

If you want a day trip for hard to find beer, go to windischeschenbach in East Bavaria near the Czech border for Zoigl. If you do a Google search you will find information enough to get you there including a calendar from which you can determine which one of the several Zoiglstube is open that day. It is a bit of a trip but it's truly outstanding lagerbier!

In the English Garden. Especially if the weather is nice. Get beers at location 1, then take them to location 2 and consume.

ebg.png

My favorites are Weisses Brauhaus, Zum Augustiner and TAL Brauhaus. Of course you cannot go to Munich without a visit to Hofbrauhaus but after your tired of the zoo skip across the street to Wirtshaus Ayinger for some helles from the cask, it's quite fantastic. As for non beer relates things, Deutsches Museum is very interesting also Castle Nymphenburg and BMW Welt. So many things to do there, but so little time usually. I am also going again in mid November and hoping for decent weather.

I was in frankfurt a couple months ago and loved it there. I had some Bavarian Hefeweizen for the first time, and now I can see why a lot of brewers make it. Seriously good stuff and I think it's one of the best session beers for a hot day.

Eat and drink every chance you get :) The food and beer are amazing.

+1 on this. I was in Munich for Oktoberfest a few weeks ago and it’s amazing. A few good places to eat and drink was Der Pschorr, good food and they pour the beer out of 5 gallon wooden kegs they tap about every 15 min. The Paulaner house was pretty good too. A fun place to check out is Kennedy’s. It’s an Irish pub that has live music most nights and pretty good food. One last place I’d check out is he Ratskellar, not sure of spelling. They had good food and several different bars you can check out.

We would just wonder round and and find places to stop and eat drink.

You've already gotten some great suggestions, but I'd also toss in the Giesinger Bräustüberl if you have time - they are a fantastic smaller brewery that brews both classic Bavarian styles and some more adventurous craft beer stuff. If you want to go to a fantastic Bavarian restaurant that is not explicitly on the tourist radar, try the Jagdschlössl at Rotkreuzplatz (about 10 minutes out of the city center on the U1 U-bahn line - the trains run very frequently). They have the full lineup of Augustiner beers and really excellent classic Bavarian dishes. Their pork cutlets "nach Holzfäller Art" are really incredible with a liter or two of Edelstoff. :)

I was in frankfurt a couple months ago and loved it there. I had some Bavarian Hefeweizen for the first time, and now I can see why a lot of brewers make it. Seriously good stuff and I think it's one of the best session beers for a hot day.

When I was stationed in Augsburg (40 miles west of Munich) for 4 years in the 70s. HWs were still only sold in Bavaria. I ordered one in Frankfurt once and the waiter said to his coworker "he thinks he's in Bavaria" (in German). I said (in German) "There is only Bavaria". (I always liked surprising them when they think I don't understand them).

Except for 1 place already mentioned, I've been to them all. FWIW, the Deutsches Museum is a technology museum. I saw Kansas , Cheap Trick, and Bob Seger there (all separate concerts). Dauchau is only 13 miles north west of Munich.

I've vacationed in over 24 countries many times. Before I travel I do a lot of research. One thing I do is get a city map and cover it with a see through plastic sheet. Like you're doing now, I list all the places there are to see. Then cull the sites down to #1 - MUST SEE/DO places, #2 - Would like to see and #3 - only in passing. (as in stop, take a picture and move on). These are different for everyone, so I can not say you must do this or go here...EXCEPT for MY #1: Hofbrauhaus. I have never been to Munich without ever going there. Living only 40 miles away, there have been many nights after work where I'd drive there for a couple beers and dinner just to people watch.

Then I make a "connect the dots" loop for each and overlay them to see there they cross over and plan according to how I feel at the time.

I also used to plan sights out by: If I were only here for 2 hours...what do I have to see? Then 24 hours then 48 hours. You get the point. This way I saw only the best of what a place had to offer. What I did not do is assign TIMES to my schedule. Keeping to a time schedule doesn't offer me all the time I feel I need to take in and enjoy the experience. I always looked at travel as if "this is the last time I would ever be here"...what MUST I see/do?

I know, it's a lot of work (at first), but after you get there you really are more familiar with the streets and the routes and don't get that "are we lost?" feeling.

For many years, one of my first stops was the souvenir shops. Not to buy, but to look over the postcard racks. From there I would choose which sights I wanted to see and just stick to them. Everything else I passed by was just a bonus.

FWIW, my second tour (in Germany) was in Bamberg for 5 years (1999-2004).
I've also been to 8 different Oktoberfests (12 times, overall) and 8 Mardi Gras (in NOLA). ; ' )

You will have fun wherever you go. The wait staff was rude to me and my family at Hofbrauhaus. So I try to tell everybody to stay away. Much better places to go.

My favorites in the city are Augustiner (5 different locations) and Ayinger (right across the street from Hofbrauhaus).

You will have fun wherever you go. The wait staff was rude to me and my family at Hofbrauhaus. So I try to tell everybody to stay away. Much better places to go.

Been to the HBH like 6 times over 20 years and it's always the same.. way too crowded with sweaty drunk people and yes the wait staff are definitely rude and slow. However there really isn't anything like it, the live oompah bands and beer are great so IMO you have to go just to say you've been. Then yes skip across the street to Wirtshaus Ayinger and enjoy your beer and food in peace.

I could never manage more than one round at the Hofbrauhaus in the evening once the ruckus is full on.
It's worth that one pour but too intense for prolonged exposure - unless you're already ploughed.
I don't do ploughed ;)

Cheers!

The smoked beers in Bamberg are worth the trip. They are by far my favorite beers in Germany. There's like 200 breweries there, but Shlenkerla and Speizel are a must. Bamberg is also a really cute city guaranteed to dazzle SWMBO. If you can make it, it will be a highlight of your trip.

Also, eat pork shoulder/knuckle every chance you get. It's amazing.

The smoked beers in Bamberg are worth the trip. They are by far my favorite beers in Germany. There's like 200 breweries there, but Shlenkerla and Speizel are a must. Bamberg is also a really cute city guaranteed to dazzle SWMBO. If you can make it, it will be a highlight of your trip.

Also, eat pork shoulder/knuckle every chance you get. It's amazing.

I agree- Bamberg is a wonderful quaint city that is highly walkable. Munich is great- it's a large city with much to offer, but Bamberg is a favorite even for Germans. If you walk to Speizel from the Schlenkerla brewery, it's ALL uphill. But the view (and the beers) are worth it, as it's one of the prettiest biergartens in the most picturesque location. The only better view is probably at Andechs.

I agree- Bamberg is a wonderful quaint city that is highly walkable. Munich is great- it's a large city with much to offer, but Bamberg is a favorite even for Germans. If you walk to Speizel from the Schlenkerla brewery, it's ALL uphill. But the view (and the beers) are worth it, as it's one of the prettiest biergartens in the most picturesque location. The only better view is probably at Andechs.

I agree with your comments on Bamberg...I worked there for 5 years (I lived in a small village 11 miles south). But MANY people also like Nurnberg and Rothenberg o.d. Tauber.

Truth be told, there are a million "great" places to see in Bavaria. When I was stationed in Augsburg (40 miles west of Munich) I spent countless weekends in Garmisch-Partenkichen. In the summer I did lots hiking and mountain climbing and winter...skiing. Since I was a relatively broke soldier at the time, I mostly stayed in the cheaper military facilities (hotels), but I also stayed in some nice "Zimmer Frei" places (rooms for rent in people's houses). On my last tour (1999-2004) I stayed further out on a a farmhouse for $13/night with breakfast. Much cheaper than in town. It also served as a hub for me when I took family members on tours to the castles and such.

I said "relatively broke" because when I left there after 4 years I only had saved up about $1,000. I spent all of it touring all over Europe and have a million memories and experiences that are now priceless. :yes::rock:

Fourth the Kloster Andechs trip! Take the S-Bahn to Herrsching, it's about an hour from Munich. From there you can get a bus ride up the hill or do the hike. When we went we got an all day pass for the Deutsche bahn and it worked for the train ride and the bus. By accident we went on German unity day which happens to fall in the second week of Oktoberfest, it was a ton of fun.

Back