Going to do my first AG tomorrow - ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First recipe I'm doing AG, and figured I'd keep it fairly simple. I figured a nice ESB would be a good way to start.

Any critiques would be appreciated. I will not be buying any ingredients until tomorrow, so there is plenty of time to make adjustments.

As for yeast, I'll likely use either US-05 or US-04. Any recommendations?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBU

Grains
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

Hops
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

Any chance you can get maris otter? I've never made an ESB without it so I can't say that Pale malt wouldn't be good, but MO does have a nice lite biscuit flavor that pale doesn't. I would also recommend throwing in some crystal 120 or special roast.

The hops schedule looks good. Some may argue that you should add the large majority of the hops early in the boil, but I won't make that argument.

Also, just a tip, you may want to design your recipe for a fairly low efficiency (70%?). As this is your first AG, you probably won't hit 80% or so.
P.S. I didn't do the math to see what efficiency this recipe is designed for. So if you already considered this last point, ignore me.

I'd reduce the amount of total crystal malts to less that 10% and bump your base malt up to make the difference in SG.

ESB focus on the bittering hop more than the flavor/aroma hop additions. I'd move the hops from @30 and @15 and hop @60 for 41 IBU and keep your EKG addition @5.

Well, here's my opinion. I think the crystal malt at less than 15% should be ok. I also think the hop bill looks fine. I'd leave the recipe as is. I'd also suggest mashing at 154. That, and the crystal malts should leave enough sweetness to balance the bitterness. ESBs should be a nice balance of maltiness and hoppiness. I'd also suggest the s-04 yeast. It's great for malty english beers such as this ESB.

Thanks for the input.

I actually meant to choose MO, but for some reason chose pale 2-row. I was using 70% efficiency, so hopefully I can hit that! I lowered the crystal, and added a bit of MO to make up the difference

KingBrianl - It was actually your recipe for "Common Room ESB" that inspired me to do an ESB. and I may just end up going with that exact recipe. :)

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.48 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

I ended up having to change this recipe a bit, due to no Fuggles at the LHBS. Used Magnum for bittering, and EKG for aroma.

Tasted this last night when moving it to free up the yeast cake. Finished up at 1.010. Tasted great, easily the best beer I've made so far...

Back