Going Pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pnh2atl

Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a couple of restaurants and we have considered offering a few of our beers in his restaurant. Can someone point me in the right direction to start the state and federal process to sell beer. Is there a book or a website that has this type of information?

I don't have any idea how far we will get but I figured I could look into it as long as it is free.

Thanks

pnh2atl

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
Aside from HBT, I would start with the TTB and your state alcohol commission. Are you planning on brewing at home? Then I would actually start with your town and their regulations on home business.

beerocd

Reaction score
I don't have any idea how far we will get but I figured I could look into it as long as it is free.
Dude, it's tax deductible. Buy books, spend a couple dollars on some professional advice, use the search tool. But if a couple bucks on research to get your business going is gonna stop you then maybe it isn't quite the time for starting up a brewery.

Sorry to be a bubble popper.
-OCD

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm talking about but I suspect it would easiest if your friend turned one of the locations into a brewpub legally and hired you as a brewer. He's already got the insurance, liquor license and health inspections going...

ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
I would expect that Health Inspections of the average Home Brewing operation would be tricky given that *typically* the brewing is not carried out in a dedicated space. Multi-use spaces would be definition more problematic to comply with all regulations.

This isn't encouragement not to do it. By all means, I think you should proceed with your plans if you are so inclined. I just wanted to point out something that you may want to be aware of.

OP
pnh2atl

pnh2atl

Reaction score
I have space in an out building (about 300 sq/ft) that I can use as the brewery. I also have a few folks that are willing to throw a few bucks in to get things rolling. Most of the people who are willing to help financially are guys who love our beer.

I figured about $10k to get things rolling. Do you guys think that is enough?

Pangea

Reaction score
I have space in an out building (about 300 sq/ft) that I can use as the brewery. I also have a few folks that are willing to throw a few bucks in to get things rolling. Most of the people who are willing to help financially are guys who love our beer.

I figured about $10k to get things rolling. Do you guys think that is enough?

Umm... how much capacity (BBL/year) do you think you can achieve in 300 sqft? The answer will dictate if $10k will be enough. I've done lots of research on the subject and 10k will not get you very far - especially if you're not building it from scratch. If you buy a brewhouse, even used, you're looking at way more than 10k for a "rolling" operation, even at small batch sizes.

Pangea

Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm talking about but I suspect it would easiest if your friend turned one of the locations into a brewpub legally and hired you as a brewer. He's already got the insurance, liquor license and health inspections going...
Better yet - offer to take a % equity of the existing business to bring brewing expertise and whatever other investment you bring to the table. I agree with Bobby - a business already exists, complete with infrastructure. If this brewery is only for use in this restaurant it seems silly to make it a seperate entity.