Going from keg to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabba

Reaction score
I was kegging a Pumpkin ale, and meant to set aside 6 bottles for a send-off, but totally forgot. I'd assume it'll work, but I figure I'd just ask - if chill and carb the keg, then use the picnic tap to fill the bottles and cap, the beer inside will stay carbed just fine, right?

check out the thread "I don't need no stinking beer gun" or something like :) pretty easy, but be meticulous with your sanitation and methods, so that it is properly carbed.

I use the bottle filler wand like you would use on a spigot. It fits perfectly in the picnic tap. Just vent the keg then turn the pressure to a couple psi and fill each bottle until the very top. Leaves the perfect amount of space in the bottle and you lose very little co2 if any at that low of psi.

I use the bottle filler wand like you would use on a spigot. It fits perfectly in the picnic tap. Just vent the keg then turn the pressure to a couple psi and fill each bottle until the very top. Leaves the perfect amount of space in the bottle and you lose very little co2 if any at that low of psi.

I do exactly this but also burp a bit more beer/foam in the bottle after pulling the wand out and cap on the foam. This is explained in full detail in the "I don't need no stinking beer gun" thread. Head space perfection is really a non issue in a keg carbonated beer unless it's just for asthetics. My friends have yet to complain about a bottle with very little headspace.;)

Back