Going from 5gal to 2.5gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of going to smaller batches to try to do a full boil on the stove top, experiment a little more, and try some new beers. Obviously I know you would reduce the ingredients and plan to play around a bit in beersmith.. My question is what would you do for yeast? Most batches I've been using dry yeast, would I pitch less than the full pack? Also I've read I would be OK to ferment in the big bucket, but if I wanted to secondary I should use a smaller vessel... Just confirming this is correct. Thanks!!

Yep, you're right on track. I do small batches on the stovetop as well and beersmith actually has a scaling down tool you can do to keep the recipe proportional. You're good for the fermenter because any oxygen is pushed out by CO2 from fermentation but you're secondary (if you use them) should be a tighter fit. I use gallon jugs or the three gallon better bottles. As for yeast you could pitch half or just toss it all in. I don't think overpitching is too much of a big deal in most cases and I don't like to save opened yeast.

I think estimates of pitching dry yeast straight in turn up about 100 billion cells and rehydrating gives you 200 billion. So tossing it in would avoid overpitching but I don't think overpitching will really be an issue for you, like inhousebrew said.

To be honest I sanitize two glasses, rehydrate in one, then mix it up a bit, pour approximately half off, then toss out half and pitch half. Most likely absolutely unneccessary.

My understanding about dry yeast is you need a certain weight of yeast given the volume and gravity you are fermenting. You don't grow the population by rehydrating, just wake it up. A dedicated yeast starter would be the only way to grow the population.

Go to mrmalty.com and check out the yeast pitch rate tool. Pretty much what you'll find is that a 11g pack of dry yeast does most 5 gallon batches, so a 2.5gal batch would need half that. This is what I've done as I've also gone to 2.5gal batches lately--just use half the pack and save the other half for next time.

My understanding about dry yeast is you need a certain weight of yeast given the volume and gravity you are fermenting. You don't grow the population by rehydrating, just wake it up. A dedicated yeast starter would be the only way to grow the population.

Go to mrmalty.com and check out the yeast pitch rate tool. Pretty much what you'll find is that a 11g pack of dry yeast does most 5 gallon batches, so a 2.5gal batch would need half that. This is what I've done as I've also gone to 2.5gal batches lately--just use half the pack and save the other half for next time.

Totally agree, I think I read somewhere that pitching straight into the fermenter drops the viability to 50%, rehydrating gets you closer to 100%. Ive always been afraid to save the other half, does that work for you well and what are your methods for storage?

Back