going for batch #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassfeeder

Reaction score
So, I previously brewed my first batch and boy did I learn a lot in regards to process. Made up my own recipe , because thats the fun of it, and kind of learned a bit about grain bills. I learned I don't know anything.

So - I'm going to attempt my second IPA. Here is the recipe I'm thinking. Malt bill was basically stolen from the Zombie Dust clone but I added the Dextrose to boost the ABV a bit.

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.38
IBU: 73.46

Full Boil (6 gallons, 5 gallon target in fermentor)

Malts:
7 lbs of Extra Light DME (3 lbs added at boil, 4 at flame out)
1 lb of Dextrose (added at flame out)

Steeping: (30 minutes @ 148)
.5 lbs of Carapils
.5 Munich Light 10
.5 Melanoidin

Hops:
1oz. Columbus @ 60

1oz. Cascade @ 5
1oz. Centennial @ 5
1oz. Citra @ 5

1oz. Cascade @ whirlpool
1oz. Centennial @ whirlpool
1oz. Citra @ whirlpool

(after fermentation completes and moved to secondary)
1oz. Cascade @ Dry Hop 5 days
1oz. Centennial @ Dry Hop 5 days
1oz. Citra @ Dry Hop 5 days

Yeast:
The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast (ferment at 68 degrees)

Thoughts???

thanks! I'm not really into the "malt balance" in IPA's - I like a real, true West Coast style that's super hop fwd.

We'll see how this goes....

I just did my first DIPA and it was definitely more challenging of a brew than I expected. Your grain bill seems a bit light to hit 1.072? Beersmith suggests that would land in the mid-60s. My recipe was 6LB LME + 4 LB DME + 1.25 LB Sugar + 1LB steeped crystal and I hit 1.076. That beer finished at 1.010 using WLP001.

I lost a lot of beer to the hops (but 2oz of my hops were whole leaf and were a nightmare). You might end up half a gallon or more short once you've transferred to your fermenter. Consider keeping a gallon of sanitized water on hand in case you want to top up. You'll lose a bit more beer to dry hops.

I did 1.5oz hops at 10min, 2oz at 5 min, 3.5oz dry hop. I was going for a knock-you-over hop aroma and didn't really get it. Next time I think I'll do something more in line with you, shifting my flavor/aroma hops to 5min and flameout, and probably increase the quantity. So that looks solid.

And if you've got an appropriate container (I just use a 2L flask and foil on top), consider making a starter for this one to make sure it finishes nice and dry.

Looks good to me, though if you don't really want malty then not sure about the munich/melanoidin combo. I like the very pale, "unbalanced" if you will, west coast IPA's and I find almost any degree of munich too much for me in the style (and melanoidin I understand is like darker/stronger munich). I may be in the minority on this so take it with a grain of salt.

Back