going for batch #2

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

grassfeeder

Reaction score
So, I previously brewed my first batch and boy did I learn a lot in regards to process. Made up my own recipe , because thats the fun of it, and kind of learned a bit about grain bills. I learned I don't know anything.

So - I'm going to attempt my second IPA. Here is the recipe I'm thinking. Malt bill was basically stolen from the Zombie Dust clone but I added the Dextrose to boost the ABV a bit.

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.38
IBU: 73.46

Full Boil (6 gallons, 5 gallon target in fermentor)

Malts:
7 lbs of Extra Light DME (3 lbs added at boil, 4 at flame out)
1 lb of Dextrose (added at flame out)

Steeping: (30 minutes @ 148)
.5 lbs of Carapils
.5 Munich Light 10
.5 Melanoidin

Hops:
1oz. Columbus @ 60

1oz. Cascade @ 5
1oz. Centennial @ 5
1oz. Citra @ 5

1oz. Cascade @ whirlpool
1oz. Centennial @ whirlpool
1oz. Citra @ whirlpool

(after fermentation completes and moved to secondary)
1oz. Cascade @ Dry Hop 5 days
1oz. Centennial @ Dry Hop 5 days
1oz. Citra @ Dry Hop 5 days

Yeast:
The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast (ferment at 68 degrees)

Thoughts???

Freddyj123

Reaction score
I'm so new at this, all of the info is a bit overwhelming. Hope that your beer comes out bomb!

OP
grassfeeder

grassfeeder

Reaction score
thanks! I'm not really into the "malt balance" in IPA's - I like a real, true West Coast style that's super hop fwd.

We'll see how this goes....

thespiff

Reaction score
I just did my first DIPA and it was definitely more challenging of a brew than I expected. Your grain bill seems a bit light to hit 1.072? Beersmith suggests that would land in the mid-60s. My recipe was 6LB LME + 4 LB DME + 1.25 LB Sugar + 1LB steeped crystal and I hit 1.076. That beer finished at 1.010 using WLP001.

I lost a lot of beer to the hops (but 2oz of my hops were whole leaf and were a nightmare). You might end up half a gallon or more short once you've transferred to your fermenter. Consider keeping a gallon of sanitized water on hand in case you want to top up. You'll lose a bit more beer to dry hops.

I did 1.5oz hops at 10min, 2oz at 5 min, 3.5oz dry hop. I was going for a knock-you-over hop aroma and didn't really get it. Next time I think I'll do something more in line with you, shifting my flavor/aroma hops to 5min and flameout, and probably increase the quantity. So that looks solid.

And if you've got an appropriate container (I just use a 2L flask and foil on top), consider making a starter for this one to make sure it finishes nice and dry.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
Looks good to me, though if you don't really want malty then not sure about the munich/melanoidin combo. I like the very pale, "unbalanced" if you will, west coast IPA's and I find almost any degree of munich too much for me in the style (and melanoidin I understand is like darker/stronger munich). I may be in the minority on this so take it with a grain of salt.

Latest posts