Going Electric! Order of Purchase Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntb

Reaction score
So I'm slowly starting to get things purchased for a recirculating eBIAB system and I'm wondering in what order is everyone purchasing their components? I have already bought fittings and tubing so I can test fit everything in my current brewpot. I still need to order all of the control box components, spa panel, 62 qt Bayou classing with steamer basket, element, Bobby's new element enclosure, pump and temperature probe.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to purchase first because of long lead or time consuming build? I am an electrical engineer so I'm not too concerned about building my control panel. My budget is around $100 a week.

Also, for my element I am thinking about getting the setup from High Gravity brewing that comes with the element and cord with twist-loc plug for $90. Does that seem like a good deal or can I build one with a stainless 4500W element for cheaper?

Cheers

I'm in the process of switching over to eHERMs and I started with the spa panel and 240v outlet first. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to have a control panel if I didn't have anywhere to plug it into. As far as the element goes. The twist loc plug is ~$14 and the 6' cord is ~$14 that leaves $62 left for the element and the expandable braided sleeving. Seems kinda high to me.

I'm in the process of switching over to eHERMs and I started with the spa panel and 240v outlet first. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to have a control panel if I didn't have anywhere to plug it into. As far as the element goes. The twist loc plug is ~$14 and the 6' cord is ~$14 that leaves $62 left for the element and the expandable braided sleeving. Seems kinda high to me.

This is how I was leaning with doing the spa panel first. Also, I pieced together the element hardware on amazon for $50 so I'll skip the High Gravity one. There's just looked intriguing because the element actually looks stainless unlike the Camco rippled element...

I built up my panel first. Since all of my control components run on 110v I built the panel first. I only needed 220v to run the elements. It's easy enough to determine if the SSRs are working or not with 110v. The spa panel costs about $65 and can be installed in a day in most cases. The panel costs a lot more depending on how many controls you are using. Once you have all of your components it's likely to take a while to build the panel and test it. During that time I bought the components to build the kettles up. Lastly I had the electrical service installed by an electrician.

My build thread is in my sig below. As always, YMMV.

Good luck!

I suppose you could get the electric panel squared away. Then get all the external components for the control panel and the panel itself so you can get your final layout completed and installed while working on ordering the internals. I'm not a fan of dropping serious coin on a control box build and then finishing it with a $5 rattle can so my external work on my control box too as much time as the internal...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/70s-bling-my-ebuild-431188/

As far as the plug is concerned, I prefer to build my own as it gives me complete control with things like connection types and cord length. I have Brewers Hardware element guards which are pretty spendy. StillDragon has some nice looking ones too and are pretty cheap, had I known about them I would have likely gone with those instead of the Brewers Hardware. Brew Hardware looks like a good design too. If you are using weldless fittings the light weight of the sheet metal enclosure would certainly be better than the beasts that I have.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to buy the components to get the 220 set up and the control box with plugs for pump and element until next pay day. I'll start a build thread once I get the majority of the components in. I have the perfect room in my basement for this setup but it is going to take a little work to get it up to my standards

Watch Ebay for 10/3 power cords.

I picked up 3 15' cords with Hubbel L6-30 ends (plug and connectors) for $60 shipped.

I'll use a short pigtail from the control panel with the connector on it and a long pigtail from the kettle with the plug on it.

Watch Ebay for 10/3 power cords.

I picked up 3 15' cords with Hubbel L6-30 ends (plug and connectors) for $60 shipped.

I'll use a short pigtail from the control panel with the connector on it and a long pigtail from the kettle with the plug on it.

I was thinking about using pigtails but I really like the panel mount connectors... even though they are so expensive. Im going to use those for the element and the pump but I am going to use a pigtail for the control panel to spa panel (save $60)

It doesn't really matter where you start. It's just important to get going and keep working on it, or else you'll be stuck over-planning everything.

I built my control panel first but didn't even have any 220v outlets to plug it into. But my pretty control panel sitting there all finished was inspiration to get the new 220v line run. Just jump in and keep swimming.

It doesn't really matter where you start. It's just important to get going and keep working on it, or else you'll be stuck over-planning everything.

I built my control panel first but didn't even have any 220v outlets to plug it into. But my pretty control panel sitting there all finished was inspiration to get the new 220v line run. Just jump in and keep swimming.

I got the pretty box built, mounted, and powered and 3 shiny 20 gallon stout tanks collecting dust. I'm just taking forever and a day to finish the brewstand (new baby, job changes, pending move)...so ultimately it doesn't matter what you buy first, it matters that you finish it or you won't be brewing.

I was thinking about using pigtails but I really like the panel mount connectors... even though they are so expensive. Im going to use those for the element and the pump but I am going to use a pigtail for the control panel to spa panel (save $60)

Yeah, they do look nice and clean.

Even if you don't use the connector end though, it's still a good deal to buy them like that. The plug will run you ~$15 alone. I'd get the cords off eBay and just throw the unused connector in the trash!

Back