Quantcast

go into secondary a day early??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Movinfr8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
I have gotten off work a couple of hours early and after six days am thinking about transfering my pale ale to secondary, but wondering if there will be any problem if fermentation is not completely finished.
 

discgolfin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
615
Reaction score
5
Location
Chicago, Il.
Movinfr8 said:
I have gotten off work a couple of hours early and after six days am thinking about transfering my pale ale to secondary, but wondering if there will be any problem if fermentation is not completely finished.

What is the OG and gravity now? It can cause the fementation to hault or stop..since you will be remving it off the yeast..Why do you want to transfer early? I always say keep it on the yeast for 10 to 14 days for most beers.

I would wait until gravity is stable

Jay
 

Gammon N Beer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2007
Messages
708
Reaction score
10
Location
WI
Movinfr8 said:
I have gotten off work a couple of hours early and after six days am thinking about transfering my pale ale to secondary, but wondering if there will be any problem if fermentation is not completely finished.
Leave it in the primary until fermentation is completed. The secondary is really only a clearing step.

Of course, your hydrometer is your friend. Two readings at the same gravity reading on at least two seperate days tell you it is ready. Relax.....
 

john from dc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
394
Reaction score
6
if i'm ever in doubt, i leave it.

two identical hydrometer readings at least a day apart will remove all doubt, however.
 
OP
M

Movinfr8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
Hadn't been testing gravity, but if an extra few days on the yeast won't hurt, I'll wait. I just realised that I'd have some time to transfer it this morn. and time will be tight the next few days. I'll let it sit a while longer,
thanks folks
 

IowaStateFan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
232
Reaction score
18
Location
Western slope of Pikes Peak
No problems. Transfer at will, its probably done fermenting. If it's not, you'll just rouse the yeast and get them going again in the secondary. No big deal to let it sit awhile either.
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
IowaStateFan said:
No problems. Transfer at will, its probably done fermenting. If it's not, you'll just rouse the yeast and get them going again in the secondary. No big deal to let it sit awhile either.
I actually tend to agree with this statement. However, I would much rather rack a few days "late" than a few days early, and I consider six days as a few days early. I put quotation marks around "late" back there, because I do not consider 14 days to be too long in a primary.


TL
 

malkore

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
50
Location
Nebraska
get thee a hydrometer. the airlock bubbling or not bubbling doesn't mean squat. a hydro is the only true way to know your beer is done fermenting.
 
Top