Gnats shut down my brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning to brew a week ago but have held off because the house has been invaded by gnats (or fruit flies, etc.). I brew indoors. I think if gnats get into the wort before the fermenter is sealed, it would create a nasty, infected beer. Has anybody else postponed brewing because of gnats?

BTW I have jars of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap set out - they're working well at collecting the gnats. They should be gone soon, I hope.

Still going to comment anyways... I have gnats in the summer but everything post boil (chilling/transfer/etc) and my starter is covered in sanitized foil so it's very hard for them to get to my wort. No issues.

I'll bet your beer would still turn out fine. I brew in my garage and at various times of the year I've had leaves, flies, gnats, mosquitoes and drops of sweat fall into my wort and I've never had an infection.

I'd brew. Just be a little extra careful covering the cooled wort.

Also, pour boiling water down your drains and look into treating your houseplant soil. Gnats like damp areas to drink and do their thing.

I brew outside in the back yard for 3/4 of the year and in the garage for the rest. Leaves, bugs, etc can fall in. We just call those "other organic ingredients."

I've battled with fungus gnats and fruit flies in the past. My best method of differentiating them is the color of their abdomen - fungus gnats tend to be black/gray, while fruit flies tend to be reddish-brown. Knowing what you're dealing with will help you devise a method for battling them and keeping them at bay.

Fungus gnats tend to not care much for fermented things but can be so prolific that they'll end up everywhere. These little bastards usually make a home in potted plant soil inside your home. You can do a visual inspection of the soil surface while blowing softly across the surface of the soil to see if you can see them crawling/flying about. When you have an infestation you can actually see larvae movement downwards into the soil as you're blowing. My best method of treating this scenario is a good spraying of permithrin insectiside across the entire surface of the soil, followed by a 1/4" (or thicker) layer of horticultural/coarse sand across the entire surface. This has worked very well for me in the past.

Fruit flies are more problematic when it comes to those fermenting good we all have laying about. They want in and are attracted to co2 (i.e. airlocks). Luckily, they need food to survive very long. Keep fruits in your fridge and check all veggies/fruits on your counters for signs of fruit fly holes. Use the homemade traps like you have been. Then a few days should take care of it. I've found the best trap to be either white or red wine with a couple drops of dish soap - works better for my fruit flies that the vinegar does.

Despite their presence, I've brewed with them around, indoors, with great success. Covering your chilling wort with syran wrap or foil works great. Then just minimize open air contact during transfers and swipe them away if you see them around.

Just thought I'd share this. The smells and ingredients of brewing attract lots of fruit flies and gnats. I have come up with a very efficient non toxic trap
1. Pour 1.5 inches of apple cider vinegar into a glass jar(old wineglass) swirl around to get on sides
2. Add 3 drops dish soap
3. Add 1.5 inches water
4. Add a 4 drops yellow food coloring and stir
Leave in on the counter and walk away
12189767_973937269319419_2886562780910244289_n.jpg

Try pointing a fan toward your brewing area. The fruit flies can't fly in a breeze.

March 17, 2009
View a video showing fruit flies stopping when the wind blows.
Try this at home: If fruit flies are buzzing around your kitchen, switch on your hairdryer and aim it at the flies. A gentle stream of air will stop them in their tracks, putting them in prime position for swatting.
The reaction of fruit flies to wind was something that had intrigued biologist David J. Anderson for some time. When the flies sensed the wind, they went into a defensive, hunkering-down position until the feel of the wind ceased, then resumed flying around.https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_videos.jsp?cntn_id=114405&media_id=64800&org=NSF

Back