Glycol tank heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcluever

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a glycol chiller using a window AC unit. Pumps will send glycol out to coils around the fermenters. Currently I have a 200L stainless variable capacity fermenter.
That's got summer covered, but that basement will get COLD in winter. I'm thinking if I HEAT that tank, I can run ale temps in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a heater? Aquarium heater? I've heard that they may have a hard time keeping up or getting it hot enough. Thinking it should probably run in the mid 90's in order to bring the fermenter up to 65ish.
Any thoughts?

I usually use a 40 watt section of heat tape (fermentation heater) controlled by a ranco but just purchased an adjustable drum heater on eBay for about a hundred bucks that is 700 watts and intended for 30 gallon drums. My 40 gallon fermenter is 18" in diameter so that was a good fit but depends on your fermenter's dimensions. I plan on using a ranco or fermtroller to control and monitor temp.

Back