Glycol chiller with cooler on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ForReal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
i have seen many DIY project where the cooler is next to a window A/C unit ( i.e. At the sane height level) and I wonder the following: would the compressor suffer from having the cooler on top of the A/C unit?

this configuration would allow a more compact design and less footprint being used in the brewhouse.

Anyone with experience, please share. I’m about to begin my build would appreciate any input.

thanks.

OP
F

ForReal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Length wise, the unit looks to have enough tubing although it might be a challenge to unbend.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
It has to get all the way up and over the cooler wall and then back down to let the whole coil stay submerged. On most units I've taken apart, you'd be lucky to get it to happen right on the side. The only way is to make friends with an HVAC tech to extend the copper and recharge the refrigerant.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I was wondering why no one has done this yet. Was thinking a bulkhead of some kind thru the glycol reservoir would make things cleaner.
Sure, that's how all the commercial glycol units are made. It's even more simple using a bare copper coil in the tank but that's only practical when the system loop is being created. It's not something most people can DIY because you're supposed to collect the refrigerant for recycling, make the mods, vac pump out the air, then charge it back up with the exact amount of coolant the system needs (which takes some HVAC knowledge with the new system volume you've just created.

OP
F

ForReal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, that's how all the commercial glycol units are made. It's even more simple using a bare copper coil in the tank but that's only practical when the system loop is being created. It's not something most people can DIY because you're supposed to collect the refrigerant for recycling, make the mods, vac pump out the air, then charge it back up with the exact amount of coolant the system needs (which takes some HVAC knowledge with the new system volume you've just created.
I would say that the most common build with the cooler next to the A/C is very simple.
I did the build and satisfied with the results appart from the footprint it take. If I ever do another with the cooler on top, I will report how it went.

Reaction score
It's even more simple using a bare copper coil in the tank but that's only practical when the system loop is being created.
Forgive my ignorance, but, are you saying that a bare copper coil, something similar to a wort cooling coil inside the glycol reservoir is all that is necessary? Rather than say the little radiator/condenser looking thing?

I saw a build somewhere recently, maybe here? That was built completely from scratch, looked ingesting.

Latest posts