Glycol chiller pump help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I have two 1 bbl SS brewtech Conicals with the FTS chilling coils. I got 2 of the FTS temp control kits (pumps, temp controller).

Now I didn't get their Glycol chiller because I already had a glycol soda chiller that I planned on using for a DIY system. I bought it a year ago off CL for $130 so before I dropped a grand on the SS one I figured I try to make my DIY one work first.

The chiller has a reservoir with the walls lined with 2 lines of SS tubing. There's a stirrer in the reservoir to prevent freezeup. Soda would go thru the lines and come out chilled.

My plan is to have a cooler for a glycol reservoir and have the glycol pumped thru the SS lines in the chiller. The FTS pumps would sit in the cooler and pump the glycol thru the coils in the Conicals.

So i need a pump and a temp controIler to pump the glycol from the cooler thru the SS lines in the chiller then back into the cooler. I could get another FTS set but I already have an inkbird temp controller I got a while back on one of their deals. What I need is a pump.

How many GPM should it pump? What are other people using? Any suggestions?

So I have two 1 bbl SS brewtech Conicals with the FTS chilling coils. I got 2 of the FTS temp control kits (pumps, temp controller).

Now I didn't get their Glycol chiller because I already had a glycol soda chiller that I planned on using for a DIY system. I bought it a year ago off CL for $130 so before I dropped a grand on the SS one I figured I try to make my DIY one work first.

The chiller has a reservoir with the walls lined with 2 lines of SS tubing. There's a stirrer in the reservoir to prevent freezeup. Soda would go thru the lines and come out chilled.

My plan is to have a cooler for a glycol reservoir and have the glycol pumped thru the SS lines in the chiller. The FTS pumps would sit in the cooler and pump the glycol thru the coils in the Conicals.

So i need a pump and a temp controIler to pump the glycol from the cooler thru the SS lines in the chiller then back into the cooler. I could get another FTS set but I already have an inkbird temp controller I got a while back on one of their deals. What I need is a pump.

How many GPM should it pump? What are other people using? Any suggestions?

For just the two conical coils you should be able to just use the more powerful aquarium pumps. A 400gph pump like harbor freight carrys should be more than enough. then you will want a smaller (slower pumping) pump always running between the chiller and cooler bath to keep consistent bath water temps.

I use a beverage line chiller which uses a similar layout only its the coolant lines that are the walls of the reservoir in the chiller and my pump sits in the middle with the stirrer attached to its shaft. depending on the amount of water/glycol inside of you chiller you might want to just use that as the coolant tank and put the pumps right inside of it.
You are planning on using 2 pumps and 2 temp controller for independent temp controller for each fermenter right?

If you planned to add more fermenters than I would consider a stronger single pump and a manifold with valves but that gets a little more complicated and not really worth it if you have just two. since you have a hard coil to pump through a strong pump is not needed at all unless you had the chiller remotely plumbed with a long distance or height

Yes 2 temp controllers and two pumps. If I was only gonna have one I would just put the FTS pump in there but the tank in the chiller really isn't big enough for two.

How many GPM of a pump do you think is needed?

Back