Glycol chiller on 15 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I switched to fermenting 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon torpedo keg. What I have been doing is chilling as low as I can post boil, transferring to keg, then with the help of my fiancé, lifting the keg up, and into my kegerator. This is not ideal. I am considering buying a glycol chiller. I do not want to cut my keg or anything like that. The plan would be to use the blue discharge hose that is seen on a few different threads here along with the appropriate fittings. My real question is the best way to get an accurate temp reading from here. If I wrap the blue hose let’s say 1/2 way up the keg, and tape (with insulation) the prob to the side of the keg an inch or 2 up, would that give me a good reading? I see they have a corny keg lid with a thermowell, but I don’t think the thermowell would go deep enough into the keg. (11 gallons in 15 gal keg. It would be awesome if they made/sold a thermowell that would screw into the PRV port (I use the in post as a blow off).

Back