Glycerin in a lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2brew2

Reaction score
Ok, so I am fairly cheap and impatient. I brewed up 5 gallons of a lambic using a sour mash technique. I want to keg then bottle because the yeast I used is highly flocculant plus I want to make sure to carb it just right. Also I will need to sweeten this so I am thinking about adding Glycerin to inhibit the yeast and then adding table sugar to sweeten. This would be much cheaper than adding lactose in the amount prescribed in the recipe. (4 lbs). Let me know what you think.

From the OP it sounds like he used the sour mash technique rather than brewing a real lambic (at least that's my read). From my understanding the reason lambics take forever is because you need to let the bugs do their thing for so long.

Might help to let the board know whether you used a "normal" yeast or a lambic blend. They are two completely different animals.

From the OP it sounds like he used the sour mash technique rather than brewing a real lambic (at least that's my read). From my understanding the reason lambics take forever is because you need to let the bugs do their thing for so long.

Might help to let the board know whether you used a "normal" yeast or a lambic blend. They are two completely different animals.

I used Safale 05 yeast for fermentation. Basically if I can stop the fermentation I will be able to add sugar instead of lactose (which is a bit pricy) to sweeten the beer.

are you force carbing?

I would just let it finish up, then put some crushed campden tablets in it to kill the yeast, then add sugar.

I dont like the way lactose tastes in beer...

You want to use Potassium sorbate to stop fermentation by sacch, and you will also need to first use campden to kill any bacteria/knock down the yeast

k-sorbate only works to stop dormant yeast from starting to ferment again, anything that is still active can continue to work

Im not sure I would call this a lambic, as they are not sour mashed, and true products dont have any sweetness, they are bone dry, maybe call it a berliner, they have fruit syrups added to the glass, this would probably be a much easier way of dealing with adding sweetness? How does it taste flat?

Back