Gluten free recipe please crtitique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewlong1

Reaction score
I am new to brewing ( three gluten extract recipe kits under my belt) and my wife is gluten free and I want to make some homebrew for her, she is sick of redbridge, new planet, and new grist. Based on some research I have compiled the below recipe ( I stole the hop schedule from a place ale I brewed). What do you think?

4 lbs sorghum syrup
2 lbs brown rice syrup
2lbs toasted oats
1 lb candi syrup d45

1.25oz chinook 60 min
.5 Amarillo 15min
.5 chinook 5 min
.5 Amarillo dry hop
.5 centennial dry hop

I will toast bobs red mill oats in oven at 350 for 30 mins and add candi syrup at flameout.

The only thing I'd recommend is adding 8 oz of maltodextrine for body. Oats help, but on their own I have found the beer still lacks some body and will come out a bit thin.

Maybe add the sorghum towards the end of the boil too. A lot of the really good GF brewers on here seem to advocate that

Thanks for the responses so far, I was contemplating adding malto-dextrin, and whether to add syrup late as well. Now I will do it!

I have nothing more than what has been already recommended other than to say it looks great. Should be a really good beer.

Thanks again for the input! I will be brewing this weekend and will keep the thread updated with results!

brewlong1 said:
I am new to brewing ( three gluten extract recipe kits under my belt) and my wife is gluten free and I want to make some homebrew for her, she is sick of redbridge, new planet, and new grist. Based on some research I have compiled the below recipe ( I stole the hop schedule from a place ale I brewed). What do you think?

4 lbs sorghum syrup
2 lbs brown rice syrup
2lbs toasted oats
1 lb candi syrup d45

1.25oz chinook 60 min
.5 Amarillo 15min
.5 chinook 5 min
.5 Amarillo dry hop
.5 centennial dry hop

I will toast bobs red mill oats in oven at 350 for 30 mins and add candi syrup at flameout.

Question from a new brewer: if you add candi syrup, will you still add sugar at bottling?

EvanLouis said:
Question from a new brewer: if you add candi syrup, will you still add sugar at bottling?

Yes. You will need the priming sugar to carb the bottles. What is being added to the boil or fermentation will be eaten by the yeast and won't carb the bottles properly.

I highly recommend using us-05 over Nottingham. It's been fantastic for me brewing gluten free ales

And yeast nutrient. 1 teaspoon at 10 mins.

I highly recommend using us-05 over Nottingham. It's been fantastic for me brewing gluten free ales

And yeast nutrient. 1 teaspoon at 10 mins.

Really? What would you say the advantages are?

I believe I can't steep oats to get conversion and would need to mash correct? What would I mash oats with to get conversion in a gluten free beer?

I am planning to add 8oz malto dextrin for mouthfeel so maybe I don't need the oats since they are hard to convert and I just added them for mouthfeel anyways?

You're not really using the oats for conversion, you want them more for flavour, mouth feel and head retention. The Malto will give you all of those except flavour. I'd say do both, but maybe the heavyweights will have better advice for you

Back