Gluten Free New England IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have people been using the lallemands NEIPA yeast? I bought a bunch right when GFHB got the liquid yeast so haven't used any of the lallemands yet. Getting ready to brew the following base, switching to a 2 step mash with Termamyl at 175 and then Ondea at 145-

10lb pale rice malt
3lb flaked quinoa
1lb crystal rice malt
1lb maltodextrin

Trying to isolate that flavor I mentioned previously so going to try this, then a beer with millet but no buckwheat, then a beer with buckwheat but no millet. Interested to see with this one if I can get a good body despite the rice base with use of the Ondea plus flaked quinoa and maltodextrin

I've used the lallamand a few times. I like it a bit more than s-04 or M36. I think it gives a slightly fuller mouthfeel and more haze...not mind blowing, but it's nice. It gets kinda weird if you let it get too warm, so I hang around 64° and raise to 68-70° to clean up at the end.

You will most likely experience underattenuation with the Ondea. My last NEIPA finished at 1.030. I added 1ml of gluco to the fermenter and now it's at 1.020. Others on the FB group have reported the same issue. Some guys are using some Sebamyl L when they add the Ondea. I'm gonna sub some dextrose in the grain bill for my next attempt.

I've used the lallamand a few times. I like it a bit more than s-04 or M36. I think it gives a slightly fuller mouthfeel and more haze...not mind blowing, but it's nice. It gets kinda weird if you let it get too warm, so I hang around 64° and raise to 68-70° to clean up at the end.

You will most likely experience underattenuation with the Ondea. My last NEIPA finished at 1.030. I added 1ml of gluco to the fermenter and now it's at 1.020. Others on the FB group have reported the same issue. Some guys are using some Sebamyl L when they add the Ondea. I'm gonna sub some dextrose in the grain bill for my next attempt.
It’s suposed to be a Conan dry yeast so if it acts like us04 that’s extremely disappointing for how much hype has been building of this yeast to be available at the hb scale

Ah thanks for the heads up on the Ondea, I still have some sebamyl L as well maybe I'll add that with it then - I'll post my results back here and on fbook group. I've actually been quite pleased with s04 in most of my NEIPAs, the only issue being when I try to push it too quickly, so if this improves on that a bit then I think it'll be a solid choice

I just picked up two packets before seeing this thread. I won't be brewing again for several weeks but I'll come back here when I do.

LalBrew New England packs less viable yeast cells per sachet, which is why the pitch rate would twice as great as with other yeast from them or Fermentis. If you underpitchewd , it could explain the slow start.

I'm trying a batch this weekend using 2 packs of the Lalbrew NE, I'll report back. Also trying out the Ondea enzyme for the first time

Back