Gluten free Kombucha beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clauria

Reaction score
I've been brewing kombucha for several years now. I recently tried a gluten free kombucha beer and enjoyed it. Our son bought us supplies to make kombucha beer and told us to experiment since he couldn't find a gluten free recipe. However, the only recipe I could find calls for barley, which isn't gluten free. I also noticed he purchased sorghum syrup for us. Can someone provide me with some suggestions as to what I could use as a substitute for barely that is gluten free? Is that what the sorghum syrup is for?

Ummmm If its truly kombucha there should be no gluten at all! This is beverage is only tea, sugar and the culture. If you add flavor then this will change if its gluten free or not.
Recipe for 1 gallon 12-14 tea (orange pekoe) and four cups sugar. The scoby is supplied by buying one or getting from a bottle of unflavored Kombucha from a health food store.

I've been brewing kombucha for several years now. I recently tried a gluten free kombucha beer and enjoyed it. Our son bought us supplies to make kombucha beer and told us to experiment since he couldn't find a gluten free recipe. However, the only recipe I could find calls for barley, which isn't gluten free. I also noticed he purchased sorghum syrup for us. Can someone provide me with some suggestions as to what I could use as a substitute for barely that is gluten free? Is that what the sorghum syrup is for?

Sorghum is typically the one of the fermentables used in gluten free beers.

I’ve never made a kombucha beer though, so I can’t help you there.

Edit: Got curious as I make both kombucha and beer. Plus the new trend of hard kombucha is interesting to me. Found these online that may help you out

Pretty simple recipe idea:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ha...mbucha-beer-brew-kit-complete-just-add-water/

http://kombuchahome.com/brew-kombucha-beer/

Hope they help [emoji3]

Last edited:
Back