Gluten free - help with use of enzymes and millet malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kogi3

Reaction score
So i'm working on a project of making gluten free beer for an organization of people with Celiac disease and was wondering:
1. when using Millet malt - crystal or roasted - do you need to add enzymes? on the website : https://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com/ they wrote that in order to make the sugars available for our yeast (we are trying to make saison) we need to add Amylose enzymes. do you guys know how much we should add? and how the process goes?

2. for the beer (saison) we want to use Amarillo and Tetnanger hops, are there better ones that go together well?

3. as a base we are using the millet malts, dextrine, agave nectar and buckwheat honey. how should we do the mashing? how long ? temp? etc.

our recipe is: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/908432/glut-
thanks

Hi. What kind of Saison are u looking to make? I don't think you will like the flavor of all of that Crystal and medium roast. It will be much roastier than u would expect.

It's a Gluten-Free (100% celiac approved) beer. the reason we chose to use the saison yeasts is for there unique flavor.
we recently changed the recipe a little bit.
but what would you recommend ?

glutenfreehomebrewing.com has instructions on how to mash, or you can poke around on this forum to find methods. Everyone hits slightly different temps, but the general idea is to first hit a high temp (170-180F) with a thermo-stable enzyme such as Termamyl, followed by a lower temp (~150F) with a different enzyme such as AMG-300L. The first step is generally shorter and the second step is longer.

I would agree that you might try dropping some of that 30L and/or roasted millet in favor of just pale millet. Normally with saison you want to keep things fairly basic with the malt bill and let the yeast do it's thing. If you're wanting to use the agave nectar I'd maybe go 30% pale millet malt, 30% pale rice malt, 20% american roasted millet, 20% agave necatar or something along those lines, what's the thought behind the maple syrup? Also what yeast are you planning to use? I've never used Amarillo/Tettnang together so not sure on it but Amarillo by itself would work great also, or something like Amarillo/Cascade or Tettnang/Hallertau/EKG

If you want you could simplify the mashing process by just adding both enyzmes at ~163F and mashing for 2 hours. That will give you a little lower efficiency than the stepped mashed though.

Back