Gluten Free Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcasanova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I've malted about 2 lbs of sorghum, I thought I'd give this a try in the next few weeks if I have some time.

Now, I've read that it is best to grind the malted grains into a flour to get better utilization and that using rice hulls is a must because most gluten free grains do not have a husk, so I'll most likely do that.

And because the gelatinization temperature of sorghum is between 154-172 F I will need to use a decoction mash with modified temperatures to convert the starches into sugar.

Here's one dated post that mentioned this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/sc...on-partial-mashing-late-extract-method-96925/, I replied here but didn't get anything so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone has some input

I've slightly changed what I have from that post and have another method as well.

Here is the first:

1. Heat 2 gallons of water to 110-F and mix in crushed malt
2. Rest at 104-F for 30 minutes
3. Add .75 gallons of boiling water to reach 131-F, hold for 30 minutes
4. Remove .75 gallons of clear liquid (full of enzymes) from mash and let cool to 80-F
5. Add .5 gallons of boiling water to reach 158-F, hold for 20 minutes
6. Boil for 30 minutes (to gelatinize) then cool to 158-F
7. Once cool, return clear liquid from #4 for target temp of 149-F, hold for 1 hour
8. Add 12 oz. of rice hulls to lauter tun and add mash, mix with rice hulls
9. Sparge with 3.25 gallons of water at 170-F
10. Recycle runnings until wort is clear
11. Collect about 4.75 gallons of wort
12. Boil like normal, top up to 5 gallons

And the second:

1. Heat 3 gallons of water to 110-F and mix in crushed malt
2. Rest at 104-F for 10 minutes
3. Remove 1/3 of the mash and boil for 20 minutes
4. Add back to main mash and rest at 140 for 30 minutes
5. Remove 1/3 of the mash and boil for 20 minutes
6. Add back to main mash and rest at 160 for 30 minutes
7. Remove 1/3 of th emash and boil for 20 minutes
8. Add back to main mash and rest at 168 for 60 minutes
9. Sparge with 3.5 gallons of water at 170-F
11. Same as above
12. Same as above

Any one got any ideas? :cross:

I'd go with the first approach. It's similar yo what I do during the decoction video.

Since you are working with a small mash volume, you may want to use direct heat to increase the mash temp. I suggest you mash fairly thin (1.75-2 qt/lb). Dough in around 100F and let it stand for a 20-30 min to get the enzymes dissolved. occasional stirring should hep. Then remove 40% of that mash into a cooler. It should be mostly liquid. Now you heat the rest to 130F, rest there for 20-30 min, heat to 160 and rest there for another 20-30 min. Then boil. Once the boil is over add the decocton to the rest, that you kept on the side, in steps until that mash is at 150F. Let the rest cool and add when it is at 150 as well. Rest for an hour and lauter.

I haven't brewed with sorghum malt yet and have no idea how it will behave differently.

Good luck.

Awesome. I think I'll watch the video again today with the 1st process in mind. The only changes I'll have to make is with the temperature.

I agree with using direct heat since its such a small volume.

Thanks for the input.

I'd go with the first approach. It's similar yo what I do during the decoction video.

Since you are working with a small mash volume, you may want to use direct heat to increase the mash temp. I suggest you mash fairly thin (1.75-2 qt/lb). Dough in around 100F and let it stand for a 20-30 min to get the enzymes dissolved. occasional stirring should hep. Then remove 40% of that mash into a cooler. It should be mostly liquid. Now you heat the rest to 130F, rest there for 20-30 min, heat to 160 and rest there for another 20-30 min. Then boil. Once the boil is over add the decocton to the rest, that you kept on the side, in steps until that mash is at 150F. Let the rest cool and add when it is at 150 as well. Rest for an hour and lauter.

I haven't brewed with sorghum malt yet and have no idea how it will behave differently.

Good luck.

It should. I watched your video a few times before writing down what I wanted to do. :tank:

Back