Gluden Draak Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoneyismyfriend

Reaction score
I have two recipes for a Gulden Draak Clone. The grain bills for each are listed below. The first also includes sugars and syrup, the second has additional grains. My question is, do the additional grains take the place of the adjuncts?

12 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B
0.75 lbs. Belgian Aromatic
Soft Brown Candi Sugar - 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)
Priming Sugar - 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)
Dark Candi Syrup - 1 lb. (Add to fermenter at high kraeusen)

9 lbs Belgian 2 row pilsner
4 lbs Belgian 2 row pale
1 lbs German Wheat
14 oz 65 L German Crystal
4 oz Belgian Aromatic
3 oz Belgian Cara-Munich
2 oz Belgian Biscuit

That is one tasty brew. To try and answer your question, in a way they might. The specialty grains might have been added in the second recipe to replicate some of the sweetness/flavors without having to adding the dark sugars. Or its a kitchen-sink type recipe. However, the big difference is that with the adjunct sugars, the beer will finish much drier than the second. Without having brewed this particular beer, I'd lean towards the simpler, first recipe. Either way you go, let us know how it turns out!

You might wanna pick up a copy of clone brews for this recipe...
IMHO the first recipe seems heavy on sugars...
This beer is a favorite. Let us know how it turns out

I've been to Benelux and Hollander a couple of times. I try to stay away because the prices are crazy. I guess that's the price of imports and doing business. The place gets packed so people don't mind handing it over. Of course, call me cheapo. But if I can brew these at home...?!?

The first recipe might be a bit heavy on the sugar, yes. With English yeast, the fermentation stalled out early so feeding sugar during fermentation (if you want to use 2+ lbs) sounds like a good approach. If you don't want to use 3lbs, then replace it with base malt or even corn/rice if appropriate for what you want it to do.

I hear ya on the prices, that's why we have renamed the place Cafe Spend the Bux. We were just down there for the Peddle Tavern a few Saturdays ago, so many places to hit just in the Water St. area, Sobelman's is a must for a Bloody Masterpiece and Georges just for the posters in the bathroom LOL!
BTW I will be using Wyeast 1388, Belgian Strong Ale.

How do you get the additional info on the bottom of the posts, I edited my profile where it appeared I was supposed to post the info, but nothing shows up!?

So I brewed this beer nearly two months ago and went to keg it today, my f.g. was off quite a bit 1.036 should be around 1.021. I am putting it back into a clean fermenter and am going to pitch more yeast. I have a pack of Super Yeast on hand, but am contemplating going to get some Belgian Golden Ale yeast. Should I make the trip or use the super?

So I brewed this beer nearly two months ago and went to keg it today, my f.g. was off quite a bit 1.036 should be around 1.021. I am putting it back into a clean fermenter and am going to pitch more yeast. I have a pack of Super Yeast on hand, but am contemplating going to get some Belgian Golden Ale yeast. Should I make the trip or use the super?

Why can't you just add the new yeast to the fermenter? Why are you moving it to a new fermenter?

oh, i see. Normally you should take a gravity reading prior to moving your beer from the fermenter to the keg. That way you can make sure it is done fermenting. How long did you leave it in the fermenter before moving to the keg? Good luck.

In a carboy it is hard to take a reading, I don't have a thief and the less I mess with the brew, I feel, the better. I have never had a brew that hasn't fermented out, so I guess I was kinda lazy and expecting the same results I have always gotten. I had it in primary (6.5 gallon carboy) from the end of September til the middle of October and in a 5 gallon carboy from then til 2 days ago. I added yeast, but didn't aerate, I was leery of oxidation and thought that a transfer from the carboy to the keg and from there to another fermenter may have exposed it to enough oxygen, but there is very little activity in my airlock. Thanks for your concern, if nothing else, I will carb the **** out of it and drink 7% sweet belgian-ish beer

I had it in primary (6.5 gallon carboy) from the end of September til the middle of October and in a 5 gallon carboy from then til 2 days ago.

If anything, with such a big beer like that, it's quite possible the yeast in primary were still working and needed to stay. Probably should have taken a gravity reading before transferring to the secondary. Live and learn, right?

An update on this brew. All in all its good, a definite belgian, but not Gulden Draak, this is the recipe I went with
12 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B
0.75 lbs. Belgian Aromatic
Soft Brown Candi Sugar - 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)
Priming Sugar - 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)
Dark Candi Syrup - 1 lb. (Add to fermenter at high kraeusen)

It definitely has the color, and a nice aroma. It's a little too sweet and not dry enough and missing some of the signature flavors associated with G.D. That said, it's a nice belgian strong. 8.2%, next time I will do the other recipe

Did the repitch work? Pitching a huge starter and warming the fermenter or moving in closer to a radiator could've probably started it back up.

yes, I got it to drop an additional 11 points so I ended up with a f.g. of 1.024 the target was 1.021.

Back