Glucoamylase in harvested yeast for Brut series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefferweizen

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with harvesting and re-pitching yeast containing Gluco enzyme additions? I'm trying a Brut IPA test series and want to use the same yeast and enzyme. My main question is how well does the enzyme perform after weeks in refrigeration and does it mutate the yeast in any way? I know the enzyme denatures at high temps but will it be stable at 36 F? Lastly, I believe the yeast/enzyme ratio will be off after the yeast propagates, not sure if the enzyme multiplies too, let me know if you know! Thanks!

Glucoamylases do not interact in any way with yeast. How much enzyme you'll carry over to the next fermentation depends on how much beer residue is in your harvested yeast. Refrigeration will actually significantly increase the shelf life of gluco too. If you want you can try repeatedly washing the yeast with sterile water to try and drop the residual enzyme amount to negligible levels.

Thanks for the helpful info Vale. I was able to use some refrigerated yeast/enzyme/beer to restart a stuck ferm in an Imp Stout, slow working but working! Brut #2 next, will add more beer residue when pitching as you suggested.

Back