"Glogg" Metheglin Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
My family has been making Swedish mulled wine (Glogg) every Christmas for literally five generations. I'm wondering how a mead version might taste and if anyone has tried it. For a one gallon batch I'd be adding 8-10 cardamom pods (cracked), 4-5 whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, a small package of citron and a handful of dark raisins. The rest of the glogg recipe calls for almonds, dark brown sugar, rum, port wine and whiskey - all of which I think I should probably omit from the mead. Any thoughts or comments? Has anyone tried something like this? I'd like it to finish semi-sweet to sweet - maybe 1.025? Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome...Thanks!

newbie here. 4-5 whole cloves sounds like a lot. JOAM says to add one to a 1 gallon batch-2 if you like em. I'm not familiar with cardamom, but it all sounds overpowering. I guess taste is subjective. Don't let me deter you from experimenting.

If it were me, I would give it a go, but only do 1 clove, 1-2 cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick, citron, raisins, and yeast nutrient. Taste after the primary and add anymore clove or cardamom in the secondary.

P.S. Cherry pits are suppose to add an almondy flavor. Maybe those would help? I've read that. Don't have any experience with it. Working on gaining that experience right now. :)

I think you have a good point. My glogg recipe also makes a gallon, but the spices are fighting against port wine, a pint of rum and a quart of whiskey so they can be heard...Honey and water are pretty bland in comparison. I think I'll follow your advice - as you said, worst case I can add additional spice in the secondary and keep tasting. I did a cinnamon/clove mead and got a little clove happy. I love the taste of clove, but it was a bit much...its still aging out (I hope)....

Back