Glassware....

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mikeyc

Reaction score
This question may be a little anal retentive, but Im curious. What glasses are good for what styles of beer? I understand the most important part is that you drink good beer. But the question dawned on me when I looked on the back of a Goose Island IPA bottle and it said "serve in a tulip glass." And all of their bottles have glass serving suggestions. Does this make a difference in taste or aroma? Does in inhance the experience of drinking a particular style of beer? All beer knowledge is good knowldege!!!:fro:

Reaction score
A link, for my soon-to-be beer snob apprentices:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

I enjoy most beers from one of those much-discussed, new-fangled Sam Adams glasses. I rarely drink beer from an American pint glass anymore. I have a few specialized glasses reserved for specific styles/brands (Hoegaarden, Chimay, hefeweizens, snifters for meads/barleywines, etc).

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
I think glassware makes a huge impact on the beer. I prefer a big red wine glass for most of my specialty/ big beers.

OP
M

mikeyc

Reaction score
Yuri_Rage said:
A link, for my soon-to-be beer snob apprentices:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

I enjoy most beers from one of those much-discussed, new-fangled Sam Adams glasses. I rarely drink beer from an American pint glass anymore. I have a few specialized glasses reserved for specific styles/brands (Hoegaarden, Chimay, hefeweizens, snifters for meads/barleywines, etc).

Thank you for the link. I will gladly take on the role of padawan beer snob. When do I get my Hop Saber???:D

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up these a while ago and use them for most of my "regular" beers. My Pale Ales, my bitters, my wheat beers etc. I drink out of these. I do have a couple of specialty glasses that I use for belgians and Imperial Stouts and the like.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
Alright, I'll step out on a limb here and be the first to say that I don't think it makes a HUGE difference . . . for me anyway. Maybe there's something wrong with my nose but if I want to get a good sniff of a beer I can manage to do it pretty well from a standard pint glass. I think most of the different serving vessels for beer are more about personal style than anything else. It makes a statement that you know a lot about beer but outside of that it doesn't do much for me.

This discussion has come up before and I clearly hold the minority opinion on this subject. Oh well . . . :)

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
AllHoppedUp said:
Alright, I'll step out on a limb here and be the first to say that I don't think it makes a HUGE difference . . .
BLASPHAMY!!

j/k :D

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
Just remember the rule of thumb...if you are selling beer, serve the more expensive ones in smaller glasses for a higher price...damn con artists

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I think pint glasses are fine for everyday beers but if you're drinking something with a lot of esters or complexity, going to a tulip or wine glass definitely helps give the full experience.

I guess the most important factor is how full you pour the glass. If you want aromatic characteristics, only pour half full so they can build up in the glass.

cclloyd

Reaction score
I find myself using 23oz. Hefe glasses most of the time. They keep a nice head on and release aroma with each swallow. And since I bottle mostly in 16oz. at this point it's a good size for me. I also have a bunch of standard pints and a few imperial pints that I use for larger gatherings.

Sir Humpsalot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Since I've kegged my first beer, I've found myself mostly drinking out of 3.5 ounce taster glasses. Maybe I'll get a few tiny snifters, but I find the "baby" glasses help me drink less because I'm not left with a half of a pint when it's getting to be time for me to fall asleep.

As for the OP's question, I say it DOES make a difference. Personally though, I think any beer lover can make do with a pint glasses, snifters, and hefe glasses. Everything else is just for showing off.

Oh.. and if you like Bourbon County Stout and other rich, heavy, thick stouts, then I also suggest having some coffee mugs on hand for those. :)

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I find myself almost always going back to the new SA glasses and I have a nice
.25L Apflwein glass from Germany I really like for sampling

BrooZer

Reaction score
Real men drink out of 1.0 liter Krugs~!

Sometimes thats not the best idea though. I do agree that the glass completely impacts aroma, and thus flavor. I have probably 10-15 different styles of glass. I like to collect them.

For me, the imperial pint is my good old stand by.

I have been eyeing those Sam Adams glasses though.

Latest posts