Glass Cooktops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rjsilvers

Reaction score
I've got an electric stove with a glass cooktop. I'm just starting out brewing and I bought a 5.25 gallon pot to boil with and I got it home and it says "Do not use with glass cooktops" on the side.

I looked it up on Google and it said anything bigger than the size of the burner may crack the glass.

Anybody else have any experience with glass cooktops and brewing?

uwjester

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's probably good advice. I think you'd have a hard time keeping 4-5 gallons boiling on a glass top anyway. That's what I have and I can keep 3 gallons going, but barely.

OP
R

rjsilvers

Reaction score
uwjester said:
I think that's probably good advice. I think you'd have a hard time keeping 4-5 gallons boiling on a glass top anyway. That's what I have and I can keep 3 gallons going, but barely.
Well actually I wasn't going to do a full boil. The recipe only calls for a 2 gallon boil and that's what I was going to do.

I also have a 3 gallon pot that I've used for cooking, but I wasn't sure if I could do a 2 gallon boil in a 3 gallon pot safely. Your thoughts?

gruntingfrog

Reaction score
I have a glass stove and did 3 gallon boils when I first started out. I was also using a 5 gallon pot and never had an issue. Granted, I only did 4 batches indoors before going all-grain on a propane burner outside, so this is probably not a valid sample size to determine the safety of brewing on a glass stove.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
huh, maybe I should have read instructions. I got my turkey frier a couple of months ago, and before that I did full boils (7gallons usually) on my glass top, electric stove. Took a long time to get going, but it was certainly doable. Sure am glad I didnt break the stove. SWMBO would have flipped. :drunk:

njnear76

Reaction score
cubbies said:
huh, maybe I should have read instructions. I got my turkey frier a couple of months ago, and before that I did full boils (7gallons usually) on my glass top, electric stove. Took a long time to get going, but it was certainly doable. Sure am glad I didnt break the stove. SWMBO would have flipped. :drunk:
Heh. Did you use an aluminum or SS pot? I've always done my AG on a propane setup, but brewing inside does have it's benefits (cold days, more sanitary, etc...).

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
I have a glass stovetop and always use pots that are bigger then the heating area....for brewing and just regular cooking. Never had a problem.

splat

Reaction score
AllGoNoShow said:
I have a glass stovetop and always use pots that are bigger then the heating area....for brewing and just regular cooking. Never had a problem.

Me too...I have never heard anything about breaking the glass using a bigger pot... Hopefully wont be making too many more batches on the stove before going to all grain...:mug:

Sean

Reaction score
AllGoNoShow said:

ditto

I have a 14" cast iron skillet I sometimes use on mine, no problem.

devaspawn

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon aluminum brew pot and a glass stove top. I have had almost 5 gallons in their at one point. Takes forever to get to a boil at that volume. I could not get a strong rolling boil. I experimented though and had the pot straddling the front and back burner and I got faster to-boil times and rocking boils as well. I would certainly be careful as this leave a bit of both burners exposed.

:tank:

malkore

Reaction score
It depends on your stove. I have a spendy Frigidere ceramic cook top. it has heat sensors around the burners. I spent 90 minutes with a 30qt pot (13" diameter) with 3 gallons of water inside. I could not exceed 170F. The burner would only stay on about 5 seconds out of every minute because the stove was preventing damage ot the cook top.

I can only do stove top brews by using two 12qt stockpots, that are only about 1" wider than my burner. I can do a 3gallon AG batch like this, or an extract boil that gets normal hop utilization. I just split the ingredients evenly.

good luck.

Sean

Reaction score
malkore said:
It depends on your stove. I have a spendy Frigidere ceramic cook top. it has heat sensors around the burners. I spent 90 minutes with a 30qt pot (13" diameter) with 3 gallons of water inside. I could not exceed 170F. The burner would only stay on about 5 seconds out of every minute because the stove was preventing damage ot the cook top.

I can only do stove top brews by using two 12qt stockpots, that are only about 1" wider than my burner. I can do a 3gallon AG batch like this, or an extract boil that gets normal hop utilization. I just split the ingredients evenly.

good luck.
I have something similar. I think it has to do with the contact with the burner.

I have a few warped pots that do not heat anything. The burner cuts off. But the ones that are totally flat on the bottom, rock.

luck