Glass Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfoneill

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!! :confused::confused:I was recently given 3 glass carboys. 2 -6 gal and 1-5 gal. There is residue on the insides that I can't seem to get out. I soaked in hot bleach water and brushed out what I could with a bottle brush. Then I tried the peroxide,baking soda, and water route with a cup of rice and sloshed that around but there is still some residue on the bottom and up around the necks. Any solution to getting this stuff out of there I don't want it to contaminate my beer when I rack it. Anything will help

With what you have done there is very little chance that there is anything that can contaminate. It sounds like some kind of a scale or mineral deposit. You may try vinegar, or even CLR. But if those don't work I would just carry on with using them. They could be etched somehow.

passedpawn said:
Vinegar is a strong acid. You probably have some of that in house.

Right now he's scrubbing it with some of the wife's Balsamico Tradizionale

I agree with the acid, either star-san or vinegar. In the future after getting it clean, oxyclean is great for cleaning carboys, I never have to scrub anymore.

i filled my used carboy with oxyclean for 48 hours and it looked great after. also, an oxyclean soak will ensure any remaining bleach is neutralized

Latest posts

Back