Glass carboys rock...until you drop one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
You didn't get hurt did you? You're doing well if all you lost was the beer... some folks have had worse. I don't move my full carboys unless it's on a piece of carpet being drug around. Better bottles are a great thing. I'd get a couple, once I can free up the cash.

Terje
o/

I move my carboy up and down a flight of stairs between my kitchen and fermentation room and I am terrified of this. Even with the carboy handle I have day-mares of it slipping off.

Am thinking about carrying it in a milk crate.

Sorry dude.

No, I froze for about 5 minutes to let it sink in, before I started cleaning up. I got one small cut before I figured out I needed some thick leather gloves.
My pride was extremely scarred though.

Brewhauler FTW
BrewHauler.jpg

I am going to second 944Play by saying: Brewhauler rocks. Only problem is the straps can slip a bit, but they won't come off!

SWMBO took one look at the Betterbottles and said, "Ewww, Plastic!"

+1 for the BrewHauler - I never lift or carry a full, or even partly full glass carboy without using one. As for the carboy handles, I've never used one, but I've heard you should only use them on empty carboys.

Milk crates!
even my 9 yr old daughter can push full carboys around in one of those !
But you have to get those good ones from dairies not those crapy ones from wally world
work great for storing empty beer bottles as well

-Jason

+1 Milk crates. Please use them at the very least. Its just too dangerous to haul a carboy without some kind of aid. That glass could easily slash deep.

Sorry for your loss.

Milk crates!
even my 9 yr old daughter can push full carboys around in one of those !
But you have to get those good ones from dairies not those crapy ones from wally world
work great for storing empty beer bottles as well

-Jason

+1 Milk crates. Please use them at the very least. Its just too dangerous to haul a carboy without some kind of aid. That glass could easily slash deep.

Sorry for your loss.

+1,000,000

IMHO the only way to move the buggers when full.

I fell down the stairs this weekend with my glass carboy full of beer but saved it. Can't say the same for my back.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I broke a carboy full of red wine not too long ago.
I was more upset about the mess than the wine, since we had just moved into a new house.
I'm very careful now. For the most part, I don't carry carboys around. I just lift them from the floor to the table. I also never shake them to aerate. I'd hate to go through that mess again.

+1 to using milk crates.

+ another one for milk crates. My wife had all her law school books in them before we bought a house and installed bookshelves. I knew those crates would come in handy someday. :)

man that really sucks.

As a newby, I'm going to take this to heart and look into crates/brewhauler/handle for my carboys.

you don't have a carboy handle on it?

Ummm... Carboy handles are intended to make it easier/safer to move around EMPTY carboys. I would NOT recommend lifting a full glass carboy by a carboy handle (the instructions that came with my handle had a warning against using it for that).

+1 on the milk crate solution... I read it here and works great.

sorry for your loss. i'd probably contemplate quitting brewing as well.

with concrete floors downstairs, if i ever drop one, it's a goner as well. i have one of those carriers with the straps for my 6.5 gallon one. my five gallon ones just have the orange handle things....

Another +1 on the milk grate. I also use these when I wash or move a wet carboy. Starsan and glass is almost as bad a oil on glass.

GrabandGrip.jpg

I run several strips of duct tape around and 4-6 strips up and down my carboys to provide a bit of safety in the event of a crack. Kind of poor mans safety glass. Looks kind stupid, but i know if they break, they won't go into a milion pieces. In addition, i use carboy carriers to move them. I have a Brewhauler, and another "bag type" carrier that work really well. I personally wouldn't trust the handles that clamp on the top. Much of it comes down to "Respect the Carboy."

glass carboy with any sort of hauler is still just second place to a better bottle imo

I invested $15 in HDPE fermentors. They can handle heat, they are cheap, they are light weight, food grade and come with built in hinged handles to carry them.

I want to know what was in that fermentor that cost you $80! Oh, maybe you are shopping at my LHBS and brewed a Blonde Ale? HA

I've lost three glass carboys since I started. One slipped out of my dad's hands while cleaning, one was knocked over in the driveway by the neighbors dog, and the last one i broke by putting hot cleaner in a cold carboy. Now they all stay in the brew room and never leave. Very little movement. They all have handles which work great for moving as long as you support them from the base. In my opinion glass is still boss for a lot of reasons. Learn and move on. Respect is key. Sorry for your loss.

$80= 3# Wheat DME, 3# ex. Light DME, 5# Blueberries, 2# Honey, Yeast, 2# PM grains.

I have a picture and would upload it, but I am worse at that than I am at carrying carboys! Any advice on posting a pic. and I will get it on here.

Jumbo you're right, I love(d) glass, but I think I lost the respect for it. I got a little cocky with this brew, did everything right and efficiently, nonchalantly grabbed that 60+ lb. carboy with my thumb on the stopper, and the rest is history. I think I spilled a little while straining, the bottom was wet and boom. It was only about 10" off the ground, luckily just outside of my garage.

I've moved on though...I'm brewing tonight!:rockin:

Holy Rape PrisonSex Man !!!

so you are telling us that you paid
$7 for yeast
$3 a pound for grain
$5 a pound for DME
$5 a pound for Honey
$4 a pound for Berries

Wow

I lost one carboy, luckily it was emplty. Still hell to clean up. I've since bought one Better Bottle, but I can't just toss out my other 3 glass carboys. Live and learn. I also recently brewed a blonde ale with ingredients from my LHBS, and went the other day for AG ingredients for my next batch. First and last DME buy hurt the pocketbook.

Berries were higher, dme was lower, honey was lower, I left out springwater and ice. Maybe I'm exaggerating, it may have been closer to $79. If everyone concerned will PM me with their personal addresses, I will mail out copies of the receipts.

Seriously, can I email someone this picture so they can put it up?

I am kinda disturbed, I've used the carboy handles to move full carboys all the time, and never even thought they'd slip... I've found them near impossible to put on w/ them fully open, I never suspected they could slip off... please, someone tell me they've never had one slip off!

I don't move carboys, full or empty, unless they're in a milk crate.

Only time they come out of the milk crate is to roll Star-San through them prior to filling with wort. When cleaning, I even leave them in the crate.

Berries were higher, dme was lower, honey was lower, I left out springwater and ice. Maybe I'm exaggerating, it may have been closer to $79. If everyone concerned will PM me with their personal addresses, I will mail out copies of the receipts.

Seriously, can I email someone this picture so they can put it up?

yeah email it to me
and I will post it for you

[email protected]

Back