Glacier Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
A couple things before I get to the recipe: A friend of mine kindly sent me several ounces (almost a lb) of glacier hops he will not be able to use. ANd even though I've never use glacier hops before they seem like they'd be acceptable for a low IBU pale ale. I also happen to have a beer enhancer kit just laying around (forgot I bought so many back when I brewed with pre-hopped kits). So I figure I'd make use of that enhancer kit (1lb DME + 1lb corn sugar + 4oz malto-dextrin) with this glacier pale ale I'm planning. In addition, I've decided to try my hand at partial mash brewing.

Recipe:
4lbs 2-row pale
1lb vienna malt
1lb DME
1lb corn sugar
4oz malto-dextrin
2oz glacier hops 60 min
1oz glacier hops 15 min
1oz glaciar hops 1 min/flameout

I figure this recipe would end up with the following:
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.012
IBU: 36.7
ABV: 4.7

Now I know many have issues using corn sugar but it only makes up 14% of the fermentables and therefore shouldn't affect the flavor adversly. At this time I'm convinced I can manage the 5lbs of grain using DB's stove top partial pash method with the extra stock pot I have. Any more than 5 lbs would probably pushing it. So adding more grain is out of the question for this first partial mash attempt. I could of course add more DME but with the expected OG being so close to most brews I make normally I wasn't sure if it would be necessary.

Any thoughts on the recipe? Am I nuts for trying to brew with so much corn sugar for a partial mash and so little DME? Any thoughts on the use of glacier hops? Should I use a 'true' bittering hop? Any other suggestions or input?

Just please be kind. I've only been brewing a year, spent the first few months brewing with pre-hopped kits, followed 6-7 extract kits (Brewers Best and AHS).

EDIT NOTE: Oops...meant for the recipe to be 2oz of glacier at 60 min rather than just one. The recipe and IBUs have been changed to reflect that.

Personally I would replace the corn sugar and malto dextrine with DME. I recently made an all Glacier APA with a similar recipe, it looked something like this:
8lbs pale ale malt
1lb vienna
1lb light crystal
Galcier additions at 60, 30, 15 and 5 to get about 40 ibus
I brew this recipe all the time with a single hop, and this was one of the least interesting hops. It's a couple of months old now and I am really enjoying it, but I don't think I would choose to use it for flavor again. It is almost more like a blonde because I fermented cool and this hop is so neutral. It has a very clean bittering though, overall a good hop, just slightly forgettable when you are used to Amarillo and Simcoe for flavoring.

While normally I'd be on board to skip the corn sugar altogether the purpose of using it here is to make use of the enhancer kit I have sitting in my brew closet just picking up dust. See the enhancer kit is already mixed. So I have a single bag with the DME + corn sugar + malto-dextrin. Unless this brew ends up being fantasic I expect to skip corn sugar in future concoctions.

Back