Giving a keg as a gift. What are my options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
My uncle has a kegerator, which I assume uses Sanke connections (I haven't verified this as he several states away). I am only at the point of bottling, but I'm wondering if there are economical ways that I could fill a keg to give to him for X-mas. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't deal with sanke kegs, but I don't see why you couldn't carbonate in the keg with priming sugar. I've done this with my cornies a couple times.

Do know that you get some added yeast sediment when naturally carbing in a keg. Heck, you get some sediment anyway unless you cold crash really well. Transport will stir this up so some time in the kegerator will be needed to get it to fall again. The elss economical part though is the cost of the keg itself.

(depending on how honest you are going to be. Also, it is usually a good idea to purge the keg with CO2 before or after filling.

I think the best thing to do is to get some information from someone who won't give away the surprise, and find out what he is currently using and how much room there is.

The process to change from Sanke to Corney keg is to just swap the connector at the keg coupling. You could buy a corney and fill it and give it to him with the proper quick connect and all he has to do is swap the sankey coupler for the corney quick connect at the end of his liquid line.

Would you deliver in person, or try and ship?

Thanks for the idea to carb in the keg. For whatever reason, this just never occurred to me.

The hook up is still the question. I was planning to map out my options and approach my mom to see if she wanted to join me in the gift. She or my dad could scope out the kegerator in some discreet method.

I would be delivering it personally, when we go up to visit for X-mas. I'm sure he would be willing to let it sit for a while to let it settle. I'm more concerned about showing and saying, "let me cut up your keg lines!" Though perhaps this isn't as a big of deal as it seems to me, a non-kegger.

Assuming he has a sanke coupler on his kegerator, which very likely he does. Your'e best bet is to get a a sanke sixtel, fill it and prime it. Very easy to hook up in his kegerator...might just need a few days to settle and carb precisely, but there is not much to it at all.

Search around for how to open and close a sanke keg to fill it, that is a little tricky, but not that hard at all if you are handy.

The only economical way to fill up a keg for him would be to use one he has prior to returning it for the deposit. This also isn't ideal. Breweries of course clean kegs prior to filling, but don't plan on having to clean out the amount of sediment that would inevitably end up in the keg if you filled it.

A 5 gallon sanke will be a bit hard to find and cost atleast 60 bucks for a used one.

Get a Ball-lock Corny keg to give him. Buy the parts to convert the D-type over to Ball-lock couplers. These should cost about $25. I did mine at home. It's as simple as putting in new barbed connectors in the lines that you can screw an adaptor into to fit the regular D-type coupler. When you remove the adaptor, the ball lock connectors screw right in. If you can't figure it out I'll give you the name of a place in MA that will help you out and ship you the parts. It's now a double gift because you open the world of Corny kegs up to him as well. Good luck.

It doesn't alter the Kegerator and is a 30 second swap over. I think he can make that decision without your help.

...She or my dad could scope out the kegerator in some discreet method...

Get your mum or dad to scope out the kegerator really well, take photos, etc. especially around the coupling. They can use the excuss that you have been talking about kegging and they thought it would help you. That way you will know exactly what you need to do.
how long are you staying with them? long enough to kick the 5 gallons? If so you should be even be able to cut the gas/beer lines, connect corny connections, then cut again and put the sanke back on at the end - all up you will cut the lines down 2" max.

I believe this would work just fine

Especially combined with the idea to prime with sugar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B40MMOC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yes that type sanke would likely work fine in his kegerator...that is the new style plastic sanke "disposable or one way" type keg. They can be refilled easily by unscrewing the stem and filling with beer. It is like a soda bottle inner keg, and an outer type plastic bucket shell...they are lightweight.

They are also a little larger than a sanke sixtel at 11" wide as opposed to 9"", so if interior kegerator space is a concern????

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. There are some devious members of this forum!

I'll spend some time familiarizing myself with cutting and setting keg lines. Part of my anxiety with a corny solution is that I simply have no hands-on experience with kegs. By all accounts, cutting lines seems pretty straight forward, and I consider myself both handy and adventurous (this combination is known as "foolhardy"), so I should give the corny solution serious consideration.

That said, either a sixtel or a pubkeg would be an easy solution (and if you figure the costs of the adapters, a close call on price).

Thanks!

Back