Give me pointers on my partial mash grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Zwerg

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to take a stab at my first stove-top partial mash. Inspiration here was Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, I'm going to see if my LHBS has the Yorkshire Squares yeast but if not I will plan to use WLP002.

Melanoidin may be out of place here, but I was noticing how similar the flavor profile of this beer is to a dunkel (another favorite style of mine) and I figure the melanoidin will ensure there's a nice rich maltiness. Feldblume is a "light golden malt" from a craft maltster near where I live (Oakland, CA).

I haven't brewed this style before and I'm looking forward to greater versatility/control with partial mashing - anyone who has brewed this style before, do you think this will get me in the ballpark?

Thanks.

1645414098294.png

Reaction score
As you noted, the use of Melanoidin is unusual. The other specialty malts look reasonable. There is sufficient base malt to provide the enzymes for a good conversion.

Double check the size of the LME container: 3.3 lbs is a common size for LME. 45 min boil with the later addition of LME looks good.