Ginseng?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a tips on using ginseng in beer.

Hugo's brewpub in Victoria makes an amazing ginseng beer. I've never been able to talk to there brewguy so I don't know if he is using roots or 300 vials of ginseng. lol

Anyone here brew with it?

I know that in any cooking that I have used it in, that, If you use powdered you will get a more bitter tasting ginger, but I imagine in beer that would not matter, Fresh root is extremely potent and is almost sweet and very similar bite just like raw garlic. Personally, from cooking with it, I would only use fresh, the taste is entirely different and very clean and crisp. Powdered always taste kind of stale and mudled to me.

Are you interested in it for the effects or the taste of the ginseng??

If it is for the effects.....ginseng takes time to build up in your system to actually work.

I would imagine it is the root also...the powder in the pills is quite nasty.

For both. The taste is quite noticeable in the Hugo's version. Where does one usually find the roots for sale?

Still wondering how much to add for say a 10-12 gallon batch.

Also, would vials of ginseng work? I can get those pretty cheap, though they also contain royal jelly. 24 for about 5 bucks.

Back