Gingerbread stout feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montman

Reaction score
Just looking for any feedback on the below recipe my buddy and I are planning, we are going to take a run at Hardywood Park esque Gingerbread Stout. Here's the recipe.

OG - 1.112
FG - 1.033
ABV - 10.46%
IBU's - 55
SRM - 34

Chocolate malt - 12 oz
Roasted Barley - 12 oz
Victory - 12 oz
Carapils - 6 oz

Extra light DME - 12 lbs
Lactose - 1 lb

Warrior 2 oz at 60 min
Nugget 2 oz at 20 min
Challenger 1 oz at 5 min

Wildflower honey - 2 lbs at 10 min
Fresh ginger root - 5 oz at 5 min
Vanilla beans - 5 beans split and scraped
Cinnamon sticks - 3 whole sticks at 5 min

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale with 3L starter on stir plate
Safale US-05 - 1 sachet

I have been steeping the grains for 45 min recently and then washing them into the brewpot so it turns into more of a partial mash. May have gotten a little carried away with the OG so was going to throw in a sachet of US-05 just to be sure. We wanted the gingerbread flavor to come through but not for it to be "spicy" or overly sweet. Figured it would probably be ready around christmas time.

Would you guys change anything about the flavor additions? I've heard people putting the vanilla beans in vodka to bring out the flavor some.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, we brewed it on 06/22, just hit 3 weeks in primary. Plan to bottle it at 4 weeks. We ended up cold crashing the starter of the Scottish ale yeast, then decanting and doing a second step with the starter so we held the US-05, but I plan on rehydrating half the sachet and adding it at bottling time to help it carb. Brew went great, smelled awesome when once we added all the extra ingredients. Noticed that everything was a little delayed with he Scottish ale yeast. Took the starter almost 24 hours before it started fermenting and almost 2 days before the primary took off but it went like crazy for 72 hours after that.

Back