Ginger Pale Ale ALMOST Done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
So after tinkering with my first APA recipe, I'm VERY pleased with the results. I had it in the primary for a week, switched to secondary for another week, and just for sh!ts and giggles, I transferred it into a 3rd carboy in an attempt to get as much suspension out of it as possible (since I lack the ability to cold condition). After pulling out a glass for myself, the ginger was juuuuuuust right, and added a very nice, subtle bite to the end - almost like a hop flavor, but with fewer bitter notes. If I were to change one thing, it would be to dry hop a full ounce of citra hops instead of just a 1/2 ounce. It was a beautiful golden color and a very light body.

I want to let it sit in the carboy for 2 more weeks and let it get even smoother, but I might be too impatient to wait that long :)

Here's the recipe. 5 Gallon Batch, 150 degree steep, 60 min. boil.

MALTS
½ lbs. Cara Pills
½ lbs. pilsner malt
½ lbs. Honey Malt
1 lb. flacked Wheat
6 lbs. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract

HOPS
1 oz. Cascade (60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (20 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
½ oz. Citra (dry hop in secondary)

ADJUNCTS
½ oz. Diced Fresh Ginger Root (add 3 days after dry hop)

YEAST
Safale U.S. 05 (S-05)

Many of my decisions were based on suggestions made on this forum, so thank you for your input. Viva La Homebrew!

That does sound good. Did you do anything to sterilize the ginger root, or just throw it in the carboy fresh? The only spoiled batch I've ever had was from a carboy adjunct that we forgot to sterilize in our excited anticipation.

It's funny you mention the sterilizing of the ginger. I just made a Witbier with a 1/4 oz fresh ginger, and I didn't sterilize it. The batch came out quite tasty (beyond a little too much coriander for my taste). For the APA, I DID sterilize the ginger in an 1/8 cup of vodka for an hour, and added all of it to the secondary. I decided that in the future, I will always sterilize my adjuncts in vodka.

And I don't think I'll chalk this up as a "Tried and True" until I crack my 1st bottle :)

Back