Ginger, lemon, cinnamon cider brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JV Nijjar

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am new to brewing. So I'll make this quick:

Have 2 gallons of an experimental cider going. It has 1 lemon, 20 grams of cinnamon, and about 80 grams of ginger.

Mashed the ginger, peeled the lemon, cut the lemon into slices, and tossed peels in with cinnamon sticks, along with everything else into the batch.

It is now day 10 out of an anticipated 14 days of fermenting. I decided to taste it to better understand the brew and it is strong on the ginger and lemon smell (good).

The issue:

It tastes kind of dry, lacking of any sweetness. The taste is good but it's not sweet so it's dry in flavor. My question is if this is normal (since the sugar is eaten by the yeast) and if it will get sweeter once the time for bottling swings around or when it's in the bottles. If not, what's the best way to change this?

Additional info:

I re-purposed a Mr. Beer keg. It doesn't have a Waterlock but it's created to passively let CO2 out.

I used red star premier blanc for yeast

I did not add any additional sugar

Cider was pasteurized but had no stabilizers or preservatives (potassium sorbate)

It has not been in direct sunlight and has been at around 55-60 degrees.

Yes it's normal for cider to be dry and tart when finished. With your lemon I would expect even more so. Try sweetening your next sample and see if you like it better.

Back