Ginger Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
I'd like to put some ginger in a Munich Helles (Reinheitsgebot what?).
I want the end result to be a slightly sweeter than usual Helles with moderate ginger flavor and a mild ginger bite, like what you'd get from a mild ginger beer soda.
I plan on hopping it less than normal and using Wyeast 2487, both of which will make my regular Helles recipe seem slightly sweeter to help balance the ginger.

I've seen advice on adding ginger ranging from 60 minute additions, to knockout additions, to adding it to the secondary.
Can someone help point me in the right direction on amounts and times for ginger?

Recipe:
7# Pils
1# Munich
mash at 152F
IBU - 10
0.6oz Hallertau 4.3% at 60 min
OG 1.046
FG 1.011

I think I'll try an ounce each at 60 min & knockout.
If I want more, I'll add some to the secondary.

Is using fresh or ground better?

Use fresh ginger for certain. I'd move up the 60 minute to 20/30 minutes.

I brewed this Monday, and the wort sample has a very nice ginger aroma, not subtle by any means. The ginger flavor is very light in the background, not quite balancing the sweetness from 1.052 wort. I'm looking forward to tasting this after fermentation.

I just kegged this beer, and I'm very happy with the ginger flavor. Noticeable but not overwhelming in the aroma, and a slight ginger bite in the flavor.
Can't wait for this to age :)

I'm curious how this turned out after a little aging. I'm planning on making a beer with ginger soon, so I'm trying to get an idea of how other peoples' recipes have tasted(ginger aroma, bite, etc.)
Did the ginger mellow after lagering?

Back