Ginger bug - white mold

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mike11

New Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Fermentation newbie here, please bear with me :) This is the first time I attempt to make a ginger bug. On the 4th day I've noticed two small white mold formations, about 3 mm each. Is it something to worry about? More info:
- I have removed the mold from the jar
- the liquid tastes ok, it's sweet
- the liquid temperature is 95F with variations of +/-5F (jar is kept on the radiator)
- there is some (black) mold on the wall, about 6 feet away from the jar; keep procrastinating to clean it
- jar has a loosely fitted lid all the time
- used unchlorinated water
- every 24 hours adding 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp minced ginger to the jar

Many thanks :)
 

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
9,217
Reaction score
7,573
Location
Cleveland
You don't want to be drinking anything that was in contact with mold.

Mold is allergenic and can produce toxins and/or carcinogens.
 

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
17,057
Reaction score
7,184
Location
Pasadena, MD
Even if harmless, you need to find ways to prevent mold from growing. The 95F temps and high humidity in the headspace surely don't help. Molds need oxygen to grow.
Use a good sanitizer. How about using an air lock instead of a loose cover?
 
OP
M

Mike11

New Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
It seems it didn't grow back after cleaning it two days ago. Will check regularly...
 

Latest posts

Top