Ginger beer recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matheos

Reaction score
Hello friends.
I am rather new to brewing, but I am currently fermenting my second batch and loving it :)
I mostly do this with a friend of mine, and he would like to try to throw ginger into the mix for our next project. This is totally new to us though. I have thrown together a recipe, based on this recipe: How to brew: Ginger Beer from Scratch - The Hop + Grain Brew Store

I created my recipe in a rather unknown calculator, but it can be found here: Recipe Loading... (It takes a while to find all the stats as the calculator is a bit messy looking).

To summarize this simple extract ginger beer recipe:

4L boil - 8L in fermenter

500g light DME
400g Table sugar
500g Grated ginger root

One pack of Al yeast (suggestions? US-04/US-05?)

Simple steps.
1. Mix the DME in the pot together with the grated ginger. Bring to a boil
2. Boil for 20min
3. Add the table sugar in the last minute or so and mix (last to avoid overboil)
4. Throw into fermenter, top of to 8L
5. Pitch yeast and ferment for 1-2weeks
6. Bottle with table sugar as priming
7. Have it sit another 1-2 weeks

UPDATE with target: I asked my friend and he said he was thinking of more of a "beery" end product, rather than a soda like drink. Super sweet is in other words not a requirement, and the usage of malt rather than sugar may even be more encouraged than I was initially thinking in the recipe. Maybe you could see it as a "beer with taste of ginger", rather than a "ginger beer" which, according to my research, seems to be a rather sweet beverage.

Does this sound reasonable for a simple ginger beer recipe? Anything you would change? I don't want to complicate it too much. The reason for the small batch is mainly as this is an expirement, and I don't know personally how into ginger tasting beers I am, so we might not want 20L+ :p

One thought I have myself is, I could simply mix the DME in cold water in the fementor (and not boil it) and simply only boil the ginger and add the sugar in the end. I did this (no boil DME) for my current batch and so far it looks like a success. Might even get more ginger out of the ginger that way? I dunno.

Thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Caveat: I don't think I've ever drank an alcoholic Ginger Beer, let alone made one, so am not even sure exactly what you are aiming at. My only reference point would be the soda pop version, which I assume isn't what you're aiming for.

The first thing that jumps out at me from that recipe is that almost half of the fermentables come from table sugar. This will lead to a quite thin bodied, dry result. That may be what you're looking for.

Caveat: I don't think I've ever drank an alcoholic Ginger Beer, let alone made one, so am not even sure exactly what you are aiming at. My only reference point would be the soda pop version, which I assume isn't what you're aiming for.

The first thing that jumps out at me from that recipe is that almost half of the fermentables come from table sugar. This will lead to a quite thin bodied, dry result. That may be what you're looking for.

Honestly, I have barely had a non alcoholic version let alone an alcoholic version myself. So bottom line, I don't know what we are looking for. I could ask my friend for more details on that point, and update the original post. But this is mainly an experiment. Ginger beer recipes that contained malt at all was hard to come by. Most recipes were just a whole lot of sugar, ginger and yeast. (One I saw on youtube was 6KG sugar! 23L batch)

EDIT: I updated the post

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to make? If you or your target audience are looking for a sweet hard ginger ale (like a not your father's) I think the fresh ginger in a beer is going to be a rude awakening and pretty spicy/harsh. If you just want a ginger ale shandy, make a Standard Ale and mix 50/50 with ginger beer. Remember, all of that table sugar is going to be fermented, you won't have any sweetness from it.

What exactly are you trying to make? If you or your target audience are looking for a sweet hard ginger ale (like a not your father's) I think the fresh ginger in a beer is going to be a rude awakening and pretty spicy/harsh. If you just want a ginger ale shandy, make a Standard Ale and mix 50/50 with ginger beer. Remember, all of that table sugar is going to be fermented, you won't have any sweetness from it.

Yeah I was a bit confused at first too what my friend actually meant. But now I think we both agree that he did not mean Ginger beer/ale. Instead, what he meant is some kind of beer, containing a hint of ginger. I think perhaps kind of like a B-Sides - Morag's Mojito: B-SIDES - MORAG'S MOJITO - BrewDog Recipes . We might aim for something like that recipe, but probably translate it into extracts.

Side question: Pale extracts are really hard to come by (at least where I live). Is Light or Extra light "close enough". The SRM of extra light is approximately 4.

Another, regarding ginger: Will the ginger somehow stick to my equipment, any worse than any other beer taste would? I am just afraid if it is possibly hard to wash away the taste for future batches, which probably won't contain ginger.

Yeah I was a bit confused at first too what my friend actually meant. But now I think we both agree that he did not mean Ginger beer/ale. Instead, what he meant is some kind of beer, containing a hint of ginger. I think perhaps kind of like a B-Sides - Morag's Mojito: B-SIDES - MORAG'S MOJITO - BrewDog Recipes . We might aim for something like that recipe, but probably translate it into extracts.

Side question: Pale extracts are really hard to come by (at least where I live). Is Light or Extra light "close enough". The SRM of extra light is approximately 4.

Another, regarding ginger: Will the ginger somehow stick to my equipment, any worse than any other beer taste would? I am just afraid if it is possibly hard to wash away the taste for future batches, which probably won't contain ginger.
You can actually make any clean ale or lager with lower hop content and add some ginger to it.

Aim for 15-20 ibus and bittering additions only. Then add some ginger to the boil. But be careful, ginger is potent!

You can actually make any clean ale or lager with lower hop content and add some ginger to it.

Aim for 15-20 ibus and bittering additions only. Then add some ginger to the boil. But be careful, ginger is potent!

Yea that was kind of what we were thinking. Thanks for a IBUs target range :thumbsup:

Excuse my question but I am not familiar with the word potent. You mean that we should be careful with the amount, so that it does not take over everything? Also, ginger add to the boil at like 5min, sounds good?

Yea that was kind of what we were thinking. Thanks for a IBUs target range :thumbsup:

Excuse my question but I am not familiar with the word potent. You mean that we should be careful with the amount, so that it does not take over everything? Also, ginger add to the boil at like 5min, sounds good?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I would boil it longer, 10-15 minutes is fine.

I brewed a beer like this at my early brewing times and it was really tasty. But I used less ginger than one would think needs to be used.

For an initial idea, grab yourself two litres of water, boil ginger in it for ten minutes and then taste it. If you like it, scale it up from there, if not, change the amount of ginger and do it again.

Each batch of ginger is different, so you might want to do this every time you get new ginger.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I would boil it longer, 10-15 minutes is fine.

I brewed a beer like this at my early brewing times and it was really tasty. But I used less ginger than one would think needs to be used.

For an initial idea, grab yourself two litres of water, boil ginger in it for ten minutes and then taste it. If you like it, scale it up from there, if not, change the amount of ginger and do it again.

Each batch of ginger is different, so you might want to do this every time you get new ginger.

Great tips. Thanks! Will just tasting the ginger water be a good reflection of how it would be in with taste of beer at the same time though?
I see your point though. We could give that a shot! Do you have any idea how much you might have used? Thereabouts? Just to have a starting point

Great tips. Thanks! Will just tasting the ginger water be a good reflection of how it would be in with taste of beer at the same time though?
I see your point though. We could give that a shot! Do you have any idea how much you might have used? Thereabouts? Just to have a starting point
I would start with two or three medium slices per litre and go on from there. The taste translates almost perfectly to finished beer from the ginger water.

One teaspoon of chopped ginger per litre would also be a good starting point.

I would start with two or three medium slices per litre and go on from there. The taste translates almost perfectly to finished beer from the ginger water.

One teaspoon of chopped ginger per litre would also be a good starting point.

Ok! Thanks! :) Will try to throw together a recipe. Have both cascade and chinook (and enigma) hops in store. Does it make any difference which one is used for bittering? I assume in case of enigma (18,5AA(!)), I would have to use least.

Ok! Thanks! :) Will try to throw together a recipe. Have both cascade and chinook (and enigma) hops in store. Does it make any difference which one is used for bittering? I assume in case of enigma (18,5AA(!)), I would have to use least.
Doesn't matter, if you boil it long enough. I mean, a small difference might be detectable, but practically not relevant in this case.

Doesn't matter, oyf you boil it long enough. I mean, a small difference might be detectable, but practically not relevant in this case.
Ok. yea good to know. Thanks.
This is something I have been wondering about for a while. If it makes any difference in any case, for for example 60min additions. I understand for shorter boil times, it has to have a difference.

Ok. yea good to know. Thanks.
This is something I have been wondering about for a while. If it makes any difference in any case, for for example 60min additions. I understand for shorter boil times, it has to have a difference.
If you have something extreme like citra, some taste might come through. But only if you really look for it.

Coopers used to sell the best ginger beer kit I have ever tasted. Unfortunately they no longer make it.
Since then I've bought larger kits. Once the active fermentation starts to subside I add 250g of grated (boiled & cooled to sterilise) fresh ginger (in hop bags). I leave this in until fermentation is fully finished, then cold crash to drop & clear before bottling. Basically dry hopping with ginger instead of hops.

Seems as if ginger would add even more health benefits to an already healthy brew of beer. Please share your results.

[/QUOTE]
Yea Light will be fine! Can always add some steeping grains to adjust color! I have never brewed with fresh ginger, but like most ingredients you can add them in many points. I would suggest adding it in a mesg bag like hops for the last 10 minutes. A few days before bottling test for flavor, if more ginger is desired you could try adding some into the fermenter and tasting every day until you like it. Please keep me posted!

Seems as if ginger would add even more health benefits to an already healthy brew of beer. Please share your results.
I will! I won't be able to say how it affects my health though haha. But this batch won't happen too soon I think. But will probably give it a review here.
I am a pretty new brewer too, but yes, light will be fine, and you can always use

Yed Light will be fine! Can always add some steeping grains to adjust color! I have never brewed with fresh ginger, but like most ingredients you can add them in many points. I would suggest adding it in a mesg bag like hops for the last 10 minutes. A few days before bottling test for flavor, if more ginger is desired you could try adding some into the fermenter and tasting every day until you like it. Please keep me posted!

Yea good idea with the testing of taste! I will keep that in mind. I will also try to remember to post results here when this batch does happen.

Current plan is to test out an approximate amount of ginger according to @Miraculix suggestion. Then use that instead of late hop additions in a batch using extra light DME. Early hop addition will be some cascade for bitterness to give an IBU of around 17-18. Safale US-05 ale yeast.

I will! I won't be able to say how it affects my health though haha. But this batch won't happen too soon I think. But will probably give it a review here.

Yea good idea with the testing of taste! I will keep that in mind. I will also try to remember to post results here when this batch does happen.

Current plan is to test out an approximate amount of ginger according to @Miraculix suggestion. Then use that instead of late hop additions in a batch using extra light DME. Early hop addition will be some cascade for bitterness to give an IBU of around 17-18. Safale US-05 ale yeast.
I like this idea. Its extra work, but you could always make two batches, one with ginger added to boil and another drop hopped with it. I think those IBUs are perfect and safale 05 is really clean, should work well!

I like this idea. Its extra work, but you could always make two batches, one with ginger added to boil and another drop hopped with it. I think those IBUs are perfect and safale 05 is really clean, should work well!

Yes true it might a bit more work, especially if we aim to not boil the DME at all and just make hop/ginger tea. Though, as you suggested. If the late ginger addition is not sufficient after tasting close to finishing the fermentation, we could just "dry hop" ginger to strengthen it a bit.

Yes true it might a bit more work, especially if we aim to not boil the DME at all and just make hop/ginger tea. Though, as you suggested. If the late ginger addition is not sufficient after tasting close to finishing the fermentation, we could just "dry hop" ginger to strengthen it a bit.
Not sure what hops you are planning on using but I would go for some mellow noble or piney hops that allow your ginger to take center stage!

The one ginger brew I did took a lot of ginger (I used 1 lb grated). I would add half to the boil at say 10 minutes and the other half do a tincture with a cup of decent vodka for the 10 days or so it will ferment. This way you get some of the volatile oils from the ginger that will boil off. Then you can strain and add that to taste going into the bottle/keg. Good luck and keep us posted. :mug:

Kona Brewing did a ginger lemon grass pale awhile ago. It was great. I haven't seen it for years now. Maybe they have something on their site. I may have to look and see. :cool:

Not sure what hops you are planning on using but I would go for some mellow noble or piney hops that allow your ginger to take center stage!

If you read my earlier post you will see that my current plan was Cascade: Ginger beer recipe - Thoughts?

I am a student and I don't really have the freedom of being able to spend too much extra on hops and stuff, so I was planning on using what I have available. My options are:
- Chinook 12,6AA
- Cascade 5,5AA
- Enigma 18,5AA

I was thinking of using cascade, as I get a bit more precise IBU value by using a low AA hop, and as the aroma won't likely come through too much anyway, I have not really considered that. Hops only for bittering in this case.

This is a bit different but it does have a lot of ginger. I brewed a Sassafras Ginger Saison. Both came through with good balance and fit right in with the French Saison yeast character.

I have not brewed beer with ginger, but I have made ginger soda a few times. Raw ginger and boiled ginger have different flavors, with boiled becoming more mellow. Leaving the skin on provides more spicy heat. I currently peel the ginger and steep at 180°F to get the flavor and spice level that I like.

In the distant past, I've also made ginger syrup and added that to cans of fizzy yellow stuff that people left at my house. It makes for a pretty decent soda pop. You may want to try making a few ginger syrups or teas, and try different blends with beer to help determine what best suits your taste.

I have not brewed beer with ginger, but I have made ginger soda a few times. Raw ginger and boiled ginger have different flavors, with boiled becoming more mellow. Leaving the skin on provides more spicy heat. I currently peel the ginger and steep at 180°F to get the flavor and spice level that I like.

In the distant past, I've also made ginger syrup and added that to cans of fizzy yellow stuff that people left at my house. It makes for a pretty decent soda pop. You may want to try making a few ginger syrups or teas, and try different blends with beer to help determine what best suits your taste.
Great info, thanks.

If you read my earlier post you will see that my current plan was Cascade: Ginger beer recipe - Thoughts?

I am a student and I don't really have the freedom of being able to spend too much extra on hops and stuff, so I was planning on using what I have available. My options are:
- Chinook 12,6AA
- Cascade 5,5AA
- Enigma 18,5AA

I was thinking of using cascade, as I get a bit more precise IBU value by using a low AA hop, and as the aroma won't likely come through too much anyway, I have not really considered that. Hops only for bittering in this case.
Any hop will do, you only want to bitter to about 20 ibu, and the ginger will provide most of the flavor. I wouldn't use any late hop additions as this would clash with the ginger you are trying to bring front and center. :mug:

That ginger syrup sounds like it would be outstanding in a berlinervise or other slightly tart wheat beer. I have a BOMM that I am adding to the Lime heff Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen in this thread. It was super easy and has just enough lime/sour flavor to know its there but not kill your taste buds with enamel suckingly sour beer. I think working with some syrups is a great plan. :mug:

Hello friends.
Welcome to Agusta and the Masters. Every year we drive down Magnolia Lane and here we are again, at Agusta National to experience one of the games most glorious and enduring venues. This year with the fans returning and the azaleas in full bloom we are anticipating four days of outstanding competition and beauty. So, sit back and enjoy the 2021 masters.

Sorry, I had to. LOL :mug:

Welcome to Agusta and the Masters. Every year we drive down Magnolia Lane and here we are again, at Agusta National to experience one of the games most glorious and enduring venues. This year with the fans returning and the azaleas in full bloom we are anticipating four days of outstanding competition and beauty. So, sit back and enjoy the 2021 masters.

Lady's and gentlemen, see above for my nominee for post of the year 😂
I have a friend that does a perfect Nantz. It makes me giggle every time

😅😅 I have no idea what is going on. Either I am too young, too Finnish or just don't know anything. Or all three xD

Funny, Jim Nantz, is the golf announcer for The Masters golf tournament here in the US and each year he does a bit welcoming the audience. He always starts with Hello friends. So when I saw your intro to the first post, that came to mind so I went with it. :cool:🤣

That ginger syrup sounds like it would be outstanding in a berlinervise or other slightly tart wheat beer. I have a BOMM that I am adding to the Lime heff Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen in this thread. It was super easy and has just enough lime/sour flavor to know its there but not kill your taste buds with enamel suckingly sour beer. I think working with some syrups is a great plan. :mug:
We save all our citrus peelings, cut into strips & freeze. When we have enough we candy it to eat as a snack. This leaves us with a citrus syrup which we save. The citrus flavour isn't strong enough to get through a full ferment but I am thinking of using the syrup (which is now inverted) as a priming sugar (probably in a lager or not too hoppy pale ale). Hopefully the citrus flavour should come through in the background.

Update
Brew day done.
Boiled 8L of water and dissolved 913g of DME before the boil, then added 24g cascade @ 60.
Added 90g grated ginger + ginger juice 15.
Added remainder of DME at flame out.
Topped of in fermenter to 19L.
All bottled water this time.
OG landed at 1,046 which is a bit lower than the recipe estimate (1,048), but I think acceptable.

Fermenting atm :D

I made one a few years ago that was a basic pale ale recipe with citrus zest added at the end of the boil. I used 1 lb. fresh ginger and 1/2 lb crystalized ginger in the boil adding the last 1/2 lb of crystalized ginger in secondary. after fermentation I thought it was missing something. The ginger flavor was there but it needed support. So after looking at the ingredients list from a ginger beer label I noticed additional fruit listed. Adding a can of pineapple chunks (drained), and a pound of lychee fruit purree'd with half pound of orange blossom honey after crashing brought the flavor that I was looking for.

I made one a few years ago that was a basic pale ale recipe with citrus zest added at the end of the boil. I used 1 lb. fresh ginger and 1/2 lb crystalized ginger in the boil adding the last 1/2 lb of crystalized ginger in secondary. after fermentation I thought it was missing something. The ginger flavor was there but it needed support. So after looking at the ingredients list from a ginger beer label I noticed additional fruit listed. Adding a can of pineapple chunks (drained), and a pound of lychee fruit purree'd with half pound of orange blossom honey after crashing brought the flavor that I was looking for.
You just gave me an idea, lychee mead... I love lychee fruit.

Back